Fitter (general)

Jonno

Hello, I have never posted on a forum but I need some advice.

I'm 38 and would like to emigrate from the uk to australia with my fiancee. I work with electric motors in a rewind shop as a fitter.

I would like to know if anybody has been successful in emigrating to Australia as a Fitter(general).

Maximum points I could achieve for a skilled visa is 70 points. Am I simply dreaming or is it achievable? 

Many thanks to all who reply.

Jonathan

24 minutes ago, Jonno said:

Hello, I have never posted on a forum but I need some advice.

I'm 38 and would like to emigrate from the uk to australia with my fiancee. I work with electric motors in a rewind shop as a fitter.

I would like to know if anybody has been successful in emigrating to Australia as a Fitter(general).

Maximum points I could achieve for a skilled visa is 70 points. Am I simply dreaming or is it achievable? 

Many thanks to all who reply.

Jonathan

Hey Mate,

First of all, take a look at this website. Is this your job? https://www.visabureau.com/australia/australia-jobs/fitter-jobs-in-australia

If so.. it’s on the skilled list, so that’s one hurdle done. 

70 points isn’t really enough for permanent residency with something called a 189 visa, so you’d be looking at state sponsorship. 

Your best bet is to find a migration agent (google free assessment) and Most migrating agents will let you know your chances. 

What are those 70 points made up of? Maybe we can help further?

Cheers, Dave 

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is my job and I got the 70 points off the immi website points calculator. I thought I only needed 65 points but now it seems that isn't the case. 

I have emailed the down under centre for some advice but they are closed over christmas. Is the state sponsorship permanent as I wouldn't fancy moving to the other side of the world on a temporary basis. 

Many thanks again.

Jonathan

5 minutes ago, Jonno said:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is my job and I got the 70 points off the immi website points calculator. I thought I only needed 65 points but now it seems that isn't the case. 

I have emailed the down under centre for some advice but they are closed over christmas. Is the state sponsorship permanent as I wouldn't fancy moving to the other side of the world on a temporary basis. 

Many thanks again.

Jonathan

I’ve PM’d you to help 

You can try for a 190, which is a state sponsored visa. Have a look at each state to see if you are on any state in Oz.

Also i believe you could try for a 491, again it's state sponsored but you have to move out to a regional area.

What is the breakdown of your points?

Think of it as two streams, independent (189 visa) or state sponsored (190 and 491 visas). 

Independent is a competition based on points. State sponsored isn't. 

But, not every state sponsors every occupation and the state's can also put conditions on getting their sponsorship, for example, some may demand you have an existing tie to state. 

Two important things to note. First, check the skills assessment. This is something that everyone has to pass and involves looking at your experience and qualifications. 

Second, if you have included English language in your points, you need to prove that ability by taking an English test such as ILETS. 

Thanks for all the replies , I will be looking into the skills assessment in the new year and also the Pearson english test to boost points.

Does anybody have experience with the 491 visa? And does anybody know what the likelihood of becoming a permanent resident is? 

All the best

Jonathan

11 hours ago, Jonno said:

Does anybody have experience with the 491 visa? And does anybody know what the likelihood of becoming a permanent resident is? 

The 491 is a brand new visa so no one has experience of it yet.  The important thing is that it's a provisional visa, not a temporary visa.  

With a temporary visa (usually employer-sponsored), the intention is that you'll go home at the end. There's a slim chance you might be allowed to to apply for permanent residency.

With a provisional visa, it's like you're on probation.  The sponsoring state is giving you a chance to prove that you can settle and make a living in one of their country towns.   If you're successful, then you get permanent residency. 

Of course, four years is a long time and it's possible the rules will change in the meantime, so there is always a risk it won't work out. 

Thanks for the info, the 491 sounds very interesting to me. I think the opportunity to even get 4 years living in Australia is worth the risk. I would much prefer to be in a smaller town rather than a major city anyway.

Do you know if anybody has been accepted on a 491 yet? I would like to live in NSW if possible but not sure if they would take me as a fitter on a 491.