Sponsorship obligations??

Radmac

I’ve agreed to sponsor an elderly family member. I am unaware of their financial situation and know they have had relatively serious health issues. Question: should I decide to go through with sponsorship what obligations fall on me as a sponsor? Would I be resposnible for paying any potential future medical bills should said person not be able to afford private health cover or pay the bills? 

The so called "sponsorship" is basically you agreed to financially take care of the visa applicant(s) so that they do not need to rely on Centrelink subsidies. For that, the Centrelink require you to apply for the Assurance of Support (AOS), to have you approved, you will need to do a 10 years bank guarantee for visa applicant(s), $10000 for one, add $4000 for the second applicant. That's to safeguard the visa applicant(s) "accidentally" make a claim to Centrelink after they became a PR, if they do, Centrelink will take money from the bank guarantee they hold and to repay the money claimed, if the bank guarantee does not cover the claimed amount, Centrelink will contact you and ask you to repay the money claimed.

The history of cancer or any other medical conditions is not Cenrelink concern, it is up to the immigration case officer to decide whether to grant the visa applicant a PR based on the medical check result.

And for the future medical bills, if PR is granted, your parent in law is covered by Medicare. Any out of pocket, of course, is expected to be paid, not necessarily yourself but yeah, by your family.

Edited by Michael S