Is an AITSL appeal ever successful?

I’m having an AITSL nightmare. I’ve read around the forum a bit and it seems pretty common!

I’ve just had a skills assessment refused and I’m appealing the decision. I’d like to know if anyone has been successful in this before I throw more money into their pockets.

My academic history is this:

3 year BA (Hons) Comprised of an entry year on a diploma course plus two years to complete.
They’ve said this is not acceptable; my transcript states 120 credits but still no.

GTP course + PGCE Top Up (Sussex Uni then Northampton)

They’ve said this also is not acceptable due to supervised teaching; Sussex Uni provided a stamped letter stating I have 135 supervised teaching days, but still no.

Currently studying MSc Digital Education, two semesters in.

9 years teaching, though ofc this counts for nothing 🤷‍♂️

Extra info; currently working in Australia under a different visa. Have full teaching rights and am close to becoming a “proficient”  accredited teacher here. 

Has anyone a success story? Please? 🤯

4 hours ago, Headexplodingemoji said:

I’m having an AITSL nightmare. I’ve read around the forum a bit and it seems pretty common!

I’ve just had a skills assessment refused and I’m appealing the decision. I’d like to know if anyone has been successful in this before I throw more money into their pockets.

My academic history is this:

3 year BA (Hons) Comprised of an entry year on a diploma course plus two years to complete.
They’ve said this is not acceptable; my transcript states 120 credits but still no.

GTP course + PGCE Top Up (Sussex Uni then Northampton)

They’ve said this also is not acceptable due to supervised teaching; Sussex Uni provided a stamped letter stating I have 135 supervised teaching days, but still no.

Currently studying MSc Digital Education, two semesters in.

9 years teaching, though ofc this counts for nothing 🤷‍♂️

Extra info; currently working in Australia under a different visa. Have full teaching rights and am close to becoming a “proficient”  accredited teacher here. 

Has anyone a success story? Please? 🤯

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. To be honest they don’t accept GTP or SCITT and therefore they’ll most likely always reject you. You can appear but it’s the same price to appeal as it is to put another application in and I doubt there is any point.

What visa you currently on? 482?

They want four years full time uni level education and the minimum number of placement days and they’re non compromising unfortunately. I was in a similar predicament in that I had a 3 years BA in primary ed and then decided to do a PGCE in Early years after teaching for five years and AITSL dismissed all experience before the PGCE which meant I lost much needed points. 

10 hours ago, Lambert said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. To be honest they don’t accept GTP or SCITT and therefore they’ll most likely always reject you. You can appear but it’s the same price to appeal as it is to put another application in and I doubt there is any point.

What visa you currently on? 482?

The thing is that I now have a PGCE which I studied part-time to add on to the GTP course, my previous (GTP) university STP was a recognised prior learning requirement for this so I have a full PGCE certificate now. 

I’m also concerned about how they refused my BA and unsure what an  appeal outcome would be there too.

I submitted my papers at the start of the week to this crowd.

I have a 3 year degree BA Degree and a PGDE with 90 days supervised teaching and a letter from the university to confirm that.

My wife has a 4 year BA Degree, the first 3 years of which she spent getting a compulsory HND and then completed the Degree which is on a transcript of its own. She completed 90 days PGDE, 45 days with 0-8 and 45 days with 8-12. So, technically according to AITSL website she is an early Childhood Teacher and a primary teacher. We have submitted this under early Childhood and we will see what they say. She teaches primary 1 (age 4-5) but of course that counts for nothing. 

I think it's a very bizarre set up and they're very stringent. I can't see them saying much over my qualifications and their structure but they may in my wife's case. At the time, you had to do the HND first and then the degree. However, whilst it's a fact you can't get a degree without 3 years FTE study I think if I have to I'll have a hard job convincing them of that.

We shall see.

1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

I submitted my papers at the start of the week to this crowd.

I have a 3 year degree BA Degree and a PGDE with 90 days supervised teaching and a letter from the university to confirm that.

My wife has a 4 year BA Degree, the first 3 years of which she spent getting a compulsory HND and then completed the Degree which is on a transcript of its own. She completed 90 days PGDE, 45 days with 0-8 and 45 days with 8-12. So, technically according to AITSL website she is an early Childhood Teacher and a primary teacher. We have submitted this under early Childhood and we will see what they say. She teaches primary 1 (age 4-5) but of course that counts for nothing. 

I think it's a very bizarre set up and they're very stringent. I can't see them saying much over my qualifications and their structure but they may in my wife's case. At the time, you had to do the HND first and then the degree. However, whilst it's a fact you can't get a degree without 3 years FTE study I think if I have to I'll have a hard job convincing them of that.

We shall see.

You don’t have any issues with your qualifications mate! Your wife may get rejected but as you’ll be primary applicant it shouldn’t be an issue! What visa you applying for?

I’ll go 189/190/491.

We have 75 points without her skills and 80 with. This will increase to 85 points while the EOI is active. I’ll do 491 regional if necessary for a couple of years as a means to an end if that’s what it takes. 

They could reject her but I’ll not know until they come back. Going by their demands and the course that she did here as her PGDE she had to teach in a nursery so the Scottish PGDE does qualify a candidate as both going by their standards. 

7 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

I’ll go 189/190/491.

We have 75 points without her skills and 80 with. This will increase to 85 points while the EOI is active. I’ll do 491 regional if necessary for a couple of years as a means to an end if that’s what it takes. 

They could reject her but I’ll not know until they come back. Going by their demands and the course that she did here as her PGDE she had to teach in a nursery so the Scottish PGDE does qualify a candidate as both going by their standards. 

You’ve stated you want to go 40kms outside of Sydney and that’s regional anyway! It’s not a bad visa to go for