ARRANGING PET TRANSPORT YOURSELF

Wifey59

Hi

It looks like we are going to have to return to the UK as my mum is extremely frail now. We have been getting quotes to ship our small dog which is coming out at around $4,000. My husband contacted Qantas freight today and if we do it ourselves the cost is around $800!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience at doing this themselves and was there any problems? I know we need to get rabies shot, vet checks and make sure all paperwork is checked with a fine tooth comb but is there anything I am missing?

Thank you

16 minutes ago, Wifey59 said:

Hi

It looks like we are going to have to return to the UK as my mum is extremely frail now. We have been getting quotes to ship our small dog which is coming out at around $4,000. My husband contacted Qantas freight today and if we do it ourselves the cost is around $800!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience at doing this themselves and was there any problems? I know we need to get rabies shot, vet checks and make sure all paperwork is checked with a fine tooth comb but is there anything I am missing?

Thank you

Sorry to hear about your Mum. We flew our cat to the UK last year, and used JetPets who were fabulous. Yes, it is a lot cheaper to arrange yourself, but there is a lot of paperwork and issues to address. Miss just one piece of paperwork or forget to tick one box etc, you may find your dog is refused entry. Personally, I would never risk it to save some dollars, even though it is a big saving. 
Also, relocating is such a lot of work, stressful and incredibly busy, I’d leave pet transport to the experts.

I wish you well and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

It is expensive. We moved our chihuahua back to the UK and paid $3k. But consider it money very well spent. Here is why:

About a day before he was due to fly, the airline suddenly announced a total ban on animal flights. At the same time, my wife had a none refundable ticket booked for the same day. Rearranging that ourselves would have been a nightmare. Dogtainers sorted it immediately with no hassle to us.

We arrived at Heathrow and in front of us were a family waiting to collect their cat. There was a tiny, and I mean tiny error in the paperwork - the vets signature had just gone out of the box by a mm. The family were devastated as were being told they had three options. Pay thousands to quarantine, send the cat back, destroy the cat. 

I do know of people that have done it successfully, but, in my view it wasn't worth it. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We just flew JetPets Sydney to Sweden. Cost us about $4k. Worth every penny, just to know that it was one big thing that we didn't have to worry about. Have heard of some people doing it them selves, but it definitely gets more complicated to do yourself if there’s a mid-flight stop for the flight.

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2019 at 09:12, Wifey59 said:

Hi

Thank you

Hello - 

I just wondered how you got on and what you decided to do?

Like you - I am contemplating the costs of using company vs arranging it myself.

We arranged the rabies jab and RNATT test and have the certificate. We are going to book quarantine/import certs and arrange final vaccinations ourselves. I have had quotes from pet shipping companies who have been willing to negotiate on price depending on what has already been done and what you might need their services for. For example - we might use the pet shipping company to arrange the flights and paperwork.. we are still deciding.

Just wondering if anyone else has part used a pet shipping company or done it all themselves?

Many thanks 

48 minutes ago, EsBear said:

Hello - 

Like you - I am contemplating the costs of using company vs arranging it myself.

We arranged the rabies jab and RNATT test and have the certificate. We are going to book quarantine/import certs and arrange final vaccinations ourselves. I have had quotes from pet shipping companies who have been willing to negotiate on price depending on what has already been done and what you might need their services for. For example - we might use the pet shipping company to arrange the flights and paperwork.. we are still deciding.

Just wondering if anyone else has part used a pet shipping company or done it all themselves?

Many thanks 

We used a company, no way would I have organised shipping our cat ourselves. There is a lot to do, organise, and the timing must be right. When using a pet export company you know your little one is looked after every step of the way and monitored at stop overs. That in itself is worth paying for.

15 hours ago, EsBear said:

Hello - 

Many thanks 

I would say read my post above. This was in “normal” times. Not, in times like these where travel restrictions may suddenly come in, airlines are going bust or rules change without notice 

• 3 months later...

Hi sorry I have only just seen your message as things have been so up in the air.

I'm just in the process of trying to organise getting Louie over but have been advised to use a company especially with Covid which have really complicated matters and have made it more expensive by the looks of things.

I'm in UK hubby is in Oz. Some companies aren't flying pets due to Covid. I've got one quote from Jetpets for $5800 which I think is expensive but am in the process of getting some more in the next few days.

How did you get on?