864 or 804 visa

Vadre

Hi everyone

My wife and I are currently living in Australia on a 12 month temp visa with a Bridging Visa A granted while we wait for approval on 864 Contributory Aged Parent Visa’s lodged in Jan 2018.

Our daughter has suggested that we should withdraw the 864 and apply for the 804 Non Contributory visa which has a waiting time of up to 30 years.

Obviously this could save us up to $100K but PR and Citizenship would probably be out of reach.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this suggestion, particularly with regard to the benefits of obtaining PR sooner rather than never.

Thanks in advance.

I imagine she's suggesting that because of the long waiting times for the 864 visa.  I'm not sure what the current estimate is for people who applied in 2018 but it's probably six or seven years.

However, as you say, if you go for the 804 visa, you will never get PR, let alone citizenship (assuming you're already in your sixties).   You'll be in limbo, perhaps for the rest of your life - you won't be a legal resident of Australia, but you won't be a legal resident of the UK, either.  Assuming you're from the UK, you'll have reciprocal Medicare cover but it's not comprehensive - and as you're no longer resident in the UK, you won't be able to go home and get treatment under the NHS, either.   You won't be entitled to any benefits or support services in your old age in either country, either. 

If you want to buy a home, you'll have to apply for special permission from FIRB (and pay a fee), then pay up to triple the amount of stamp duty on the property, depending which state you live in. 

Everyone has to make their own decision but in your shoes, if you can afford the Contributory Visa, I'd hang in there.  Although it's a long wait, once you get PR, you will be legally resident and that will put you in a much more secure position.

• Like 1

Slightly different circumstances as we went from 16 years on a long term temporary retirement visa to PR earlier this year.

I just have this tremendous feeling of relief and feel really settled now that we now have PR and this really is home, there was always this niggle of fear that immigration could pull the plug on our visa. My advice unless you really can’t afford the parent visa cost, is better to wait for PR from the 864 visa, rather than the anxiety of being here temporarily for a possible 30 years.

I don’t totally know what help if any you could receive should you need assistance as you age, if only on a temporary visa, as you have to be government assessed.