189 visa with BSc Physics

Hey everyone!

I recently came back from my working holiday in Australia, and, like many others, I'm keen for more!

I'm looking at the 189 visa, but I'm not exactly sure which occupation I'd fall under or whether my sporadic work experience would actually be suitable.

I'm 25, and have a BSc physics degree which I got in 2015. I've worked between 2015-2018 for two aerospace companies in the UK (doing IT work and software engineering) and in Australia I worked for a geophysical surveying company at a mine site.

I don't think my work background actually gives me any points in the test, but I can get 65 based on my degree, age and if I can score 'superior' on the English test.

When it comes to which 'skilled occupation' I fit under, I originally thought that IT would make most sense given my actual work background, but I think the ACA would require me to have an IT based degree, which I don't really have. I did a few programming modules and projects, but officially my degree is straight physics.

Perhaps someone here has made the move with a similar background? Would I perhaps qualify as a 'physicist' or 'physical science professional' rather than an IT worker? I suppose I could always just do the skills assessment for each, but that would be coming close to $2000!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

If you are willing to 'go bush' with an employer nomination, you might make it.

With five+ years of Australian satisfactory experience teaching mathematics and four Australian degrees:

BA (statistics) BSc (physics) PhD (QED) BEd (mathematics curriculum studies) you can still find yourself undertaking supply teaching for a few years; depending on where you apply.