Which Medicare Card - Aged Parent 804 and 864

Guest douglas watson

Guest douglas watson

Looking to apply for either an 804 or 864 visa - when the BVA is granted following the application ,which Medicare card will be issued - we are UK citizens - is it the yellow/reciprocal, blue/temporary or green/ full - having trouble getting clear advice, even directly from Medicare. Cheers Douglas
  •  

Should be reciprocal only because you are not legally resident while you’re on a bridging visa. However I’ve seen posts where parents have got the blue card so you may be lucky. As you say, I think Medicare staff aren’t sure themselves so maybe  it depends who you get on the day

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

So it looks as thought you can’t enrol unless you  have a valid 173, 143 or 864 actually granted 

It just says you MAY be able to enrol with a temporary visa but doesn’t make it clear 

DB37EFF6-308A-43EB-9BC9-B2B16F0B26A7.png

You’re right in theory, but I have seen at least two posts here on the forums from UK parents who did manage to get a Medicare card while on a bridging visa. I’ve even seen one post from someone whose parents managed to get ordinary private health insurance instead of having to take the expensive visitors’ version. 

I can only assume that some Medicare and health insurance staff misunderstand the reciprocal agreement with the UK and think it means UK parents are entitled to full cover.

I have had clients who were entitled to a Medicare card, but were refused by counter staff and had to ask for a supervisor to have their cards issued.

I cannot recommend applying for a Medicare card to which an applicant is not entitled, in the hope that counter staff will mistakenly issue one.

Thanks to Marisa, Westly and Linda - in summary it looks like you are not entitled having applied for an 804 - but the situation is less clear with the 864, as you point out.The guidance note is badly drafted which presumably explains the ambiguity.

If the blue/temporary Medicare card had clearly been available on the 864 route that might have swayed me that way - but without clarity I have to assume that the entitlement is for the reciprocal card only on a BVA, with both the 804 and  864 applications - at least I now know the lack of clarity wasn't down to me - maybe I will get used to the frustrations as things progress

Thanks

Douglas