Bridging or temporary (and school fees!)

summer

So I know that my agent will answer this but it’s a Sunday and I get excited planning things 😂🙄 

so my intentions- go over (husband back in Oz now!) on a 3m tourist visa. Apply for bridging so we can go on to apply for a spouse or partner visa (are they different!) 

ok so my question, when I’m on bridging I have working rights but will have to pay for my child (8) to go into education. Now, I just thought “well 3 months off school go chill, surf etc, apply for bridging then once visa is put in we will be on that visa (not bridging) so won’t pay for school”.

HOWEVER, it’s just occurred to me, say the spouse visa is 20-29 month approval time- am I actually on a bridging visa for that entire time!? Thus paying for school for that whole time? 

And how do I get away with only booking a one way ticket, will I get questioned?! I’ve been there plenty of times but obviously with a return date...

thank you again for any help x

1 hour ago, summer said:

So I know that my agent will answer this but it’s a Sunday and I get excited planning things 😂🙄 

so my intentions- go over (husband back in Oz now!) on a 3m tourist visa. Apply for bridging so we can go on to apply for a spouse or partner visa (are they different!) 

ok so my question, when I’m on bridging I have working rights but will have to pay for my child (8) to go into education. Now, I just thought “well 3 months off school go chill, surf etc, apply for bridging then once visa is put in we will be on that visa (not bridging) so won’t pay for school”.

HOWEVER, it’s just occurred to me, say the spouse visa is 20-29 month approval time- am I actually on a bridging visa for that entire time!? Thus paying for school for that whole time? 

And how do I get away with only booking a one way ticket, will I get questioned?! I’ve been there plenty of times but obviously with a return date...

thank you again for any help x

Just make sure you have an onward flight booked at the end of your tourist visa. New Zealand / Bali ... somewhere cheap ! 

You have a similar query to mine, if you go on a tourist visa (3m) then apply for a bridging visa. The bridging visa gives you the same rights as your previous visa. In your case it would be a tourist visa or does the application of a spouse visa over ride this ? 

2 hours ago, summer said:

That's not how it works. You don't apply for a bridging visa and then apply for a partner visa. A bridging visa is granted when you make a valid application for a partner visa, while in Australia.

Probably best to speak with your Agent so as not to become confused with the process.

22 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

That's not how it works. You don't apply for a bridging visa and then apply for a partner visa. A bridging visa is granted when you make a valid application for a partner visa, while in Australia.

Probably best to speak with your Agent so as not to become confused with the process.

But just to clarify, I can only make the application after my 3 month tourist visa runs out? And then they go “ok application is in, you’re now awaiting so you’re on a temporary partner?” Or do they keep you on a bridging visa whilst I’m waiting for it to be approved? Sorry if that doesn’t make sense!

On 13/10/2019 at 21:11, James H said:

Just make sure you have an onward flight booked at the end of your tourist visa. New Zealand / Bali ... somewhere cheap ! 

You have a similar query to mine, if you go on a tourist visa (3m) then apply for a bridging visa. The bridging visa gives you the same rights as your previous visa. In your case it would be a tourist visa or does the application of a spouse visa over ride this ? 

Do I really need to book a return just so I don’t get questioned? Is it not legal to do it that way (tourist then application on shore?!)

1 minute ago, summer said:

Do I really need to book a return just so I don’t get questioned? Is it not legal to do it that way (tourist then application on shore?!)

As a tourist on a tourist visa I am pretty sure you need to show a return or onwards ticket.

2 minutes ago, summer said:

But just to clarify, I can only make the application after my 3 month tourist visa runs out? And then they go “ok application is in, you’re now awaiting so you’re on a temporary partner?” Or do they keep you on a bridging visa whilst I’m waiting for it to be approved? Sorry if that doesn’t make sense!

you make the application when you are in the country on a tourist visa. You don't get a partner visa. Its just a bridging visa or so I'm lead to believe. 

3 minutes ago, summer said:

No, if you wait until after the 3 months visitor visa runs out before your lodge a partner application, you will become unlawful and be in all sorts for trouble.

If done correctly, you will receive a bridging visa on lodgement of the Partner application. The bridging visa will come into effect once the visitor visa expires. You could be on the bridging visa for upto 2 years before the partner application is decided.

• Like 1