cant find work as carpenter

Guest darwin

Guest darwin

Hi all, new to this forum, well we are now living on the gold coast, originally from manchester, and it is turning into a nightmare for my husband to find work as a carpenter, have tried all the recruitment websites,phonecalls, etc, sent CV's, to be continuosly told that "we do the work different here in Australia compared to UK". Hubbie has been a carpenter for past 14 years, has his blue card, tools etc, anybody else finding this problem?:arghh:

Hi,

It isnt always as easy as people think to get work here in aussie land, theres a fair few our way here in nsw that have had troubles re carpentry & luckily my hubby has had quite a few contacts & put them onto peeps with great results.

I am thinking that by posting this thread onto this site you will hopefully get many offers of help & perhaps contacts from the other poms that are in the similar trades in your area.

Its very true & its said time & time again, but in oz its often not what you know but who you know.

Hope you get sorted real soon

Best of luck

stuju

I know that most carpenters work for themselves and contract to one of the large builders and that seems to be the go getting work from the builders. You could put a card up in the local supermarket ad in the local rag and pick up some small work, its so hard for people to get small jobs done these days. Get some cards made or make them yourself on the computer and drop into letterboxes around the place, seems to work for people as well.

Wood is wood whether its in England or Aus but QLD has always been a bit funny no offence but there are so many migrants now its different but the real ones do not like people from the Southern States either. :biglaugh:

I remember my husband was at sea with an Aus Qld person and he made no bones about how he did not like brits.:biglaugh:

We have personally found it better to approach companys in person and sell yourself ,leave the agency out of it ,walk onto building sites and ask them who you need to speak to ,ring companys wheter they are advertising for staff or not ,i have had a few carpenters stay and all have secured work no problems,try broadening your search abit although you should be laughing down on the Gold Coast.Have you got a bluecard etc ready to start work?

Cal x

Guest darwin
We have personally found it better to approach companys in person and sell yourself ,leave the agency out of it ,walk onto building sites and ask them who you need to speak to ,ring companys wheter they are advertising for staff or not ,i have had a few carpenters stay and all have secured work no problems,try broadening your search abit although you should be laughing down on the Gold Coast.Have you got a bluecard etc ready to start work?

Cal x

Hi Cal, yes he has tried everywhere even the face to face approach, has blue card etc,it id proving extremly difficult

Hidarwin.

Not sure how settled you are or if you are willing to travel but there has been lots of jobs for carpenters in the week in the sunshinecoast if you want the numbers just pm me.

Thanks Gav

Guest donovan

Hiya darwin

sorry to hear your having problems finding work, where are you on the gold coast?

I will put the feelers out with some of the guys I know that work on sites and see if we can come up with anything.

Sarah x

• 4 years later...
Guest guest76088

I think there is a clue in your question: what do they do differently in Australia ? If it is a technique then learn it. If it is a channel for obtaining work then learn about it. If is is a legal structure then form it, if it is a certification then get it. Follow the money. Find out who hires, where and why. What is the supply chain? Domestic or industrial? Work alone or as a team? Can you get testimonials for any Australian work? Can you do any small charity jobs to get the testimonials?

I have no idea if you have considered some or all of the above, but there is always more that can be done to understand the business and market yourself. Look online for ideas about selfmarketing.

You may have to adapt or if you have the drive and determination, you can create your own business model: do the same tasks different, or do different tasks. Just because it is, doesn't mean it has to be so.

BigD

Hi all, new to this forum, well we are now living on the gold coast, originally from manchester, and it is turning into a nightmare for my husband to find work as a carpenter, have tried all the recruitment websites,phonecalls, etc, sent CV's, to be continuosly told that "we do the work different here in Australia compared to UK". Hubbie has been a carpenter for past 14 years, has his blue card, tools etc, anybody else finding this problem?:arghh:

Hi Darwin,

Has your husband considered working in New Zealand at all? I work for a company in which we are looking for carpenters over the next 12 months to start work in New Zealand, particularly Christchurch for the rebuild of the city after the earthquake. Solid 8-10 years work available for him there.

Let me know if you're interested I will give you more information. We are currently recruiting Irish and UK people

The post you have responded to is over 4 years old!

Archived