Help Choosing Visa Type

Multiverse76

Hi PIO Forum

I'm seeking your help in making the decision on which Visa I should pursue.  A few days ago I received a positive skills assessment by the ACS for my occupation 261112 - Systems Analyst.  With a superior English Score (I still need to sit this exam), I would score:

• 65 points - 189 without Sponsorship
  • 70 points - 189 with Sponsorship
  • 75 points - 189 with Regional Nomination
  • 70 points - 190 with Regional Nomination
  • 75 points - 489 with Regional Nomination

I am 42, from UK, ultimately seeking PR, with De Facto spouse, no kids.

I notice on the latest Invitation Rounds that my occupation currently requires 85 points to get an invitation.  Does this mean there is little hope and little point in continuing to apply?

I should also be choosing which visa type is best suited for my application.  What's your view?  According to my MARA Agent, I might also be eligible for an ENS Visa.

Thanks for your help!

That's a question your agent should be able to help you with, because he/she should have an idea how the points have fluctuated in recent years.   Points do go up and down - if they're flooded with applicants, they'll set the threshold higher - but your agent should have some idea of the last time it dropped low enough to meet your numbers. 

Hey Bern

Many thanks for the reply.  My partner has NVQ Diploma Level 3.  No degrees.  I'm certain she would get a high English result.  My RMA has presented me with various Visa's I could be eligible for, but hasn't really guided me towards which one might be the most suitable.  I guess I'm asking for a little help in choosing which one would most likely yield the result I'm looking for!

9 minutes ago, Multiverse76 said:

My RMA has presented me with various Visa's I could be eligible for, but hasn't really guided me towards which one might be the most suitable.  I guess I'm asking for a little help in choosing which one would most likely yield the result I'm looking for!

You've paid the RMA a decent fee, so you're entitled to go back and ask questions!   

It's a common misconception that when you apply for a visa, your application goes in an orderly queue and when yours gets to the top, it will be considered. Wrong.   It's a competition, and the people with the most points get picked out of the queue.  If there are hundreds of applications arriving every day with high points, people with a low score will simply languish in the queue, ignored.

So the first question to your RMA is, "What is the current points threshold?"   If, as you say, the current threshold is 85 points, then you have a snowball's chance and you would simply be throwing money away if you apply. 

Your biggest problem is that 45 is the cut-off for a permanent visa, so you are getting close to the point where migration will be impossible. 

Thanks Marisa, greatly appreciated.  I asked my RMA a series of questions exactly a week ago and I pointed out the 85 points threshold.  I haven't heard back yet - something I find really frustrating.  I don't know whether it's normal to wait this long for a reply with RMAs or whether it's an indication that my case is 'unlikely' and therefore not a priority.  I just don't know.

Thank you for being honest and telling me how it is!