Best options to reclaim tax after end of visa

RobinPickett88

Hello people!

Can anyone advise me on the best way to reclaim tax upon ending a visa and leaving the country? I have finished a working holiday and now a training visa and will be leaving Australia next month. Previously I have reclaimed tax from the gov website but I have heard people say that you can get a lot more of your money back from tax by using agencies? Has anyone used any such tax reclaim agents before that they can recommend? 

Would be v grateful!

Thanks!

Of course, agencies will claim they can get you more money back. And people who used them might think they got more money back, but how do they know how much they could've got on their own?

The only thing an agency  can do is spot some tax deductions you might have missed.  However, for most people, the number of available deductions is very limited, so that's very unlikely to make much difference.

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Of course, agencies will claim they can get you more money back. And people who used them might think they got more money back, but how do they know how much they could've got on their own?

The only thing an agency  can do is spot some tax deductions you might have missed.  However, for most people, the number of available deductions is very limited, so that's very unlikely to make much difference.

So true, tax-agents don't have access to special "agent only" deductions, they just know the list of available deductions inside-out. If your life and financial affairs are pretty mundane (in terms of salary, wages, investments) the likelihood an agent could get you anything significantly more than you can do yourself is questionable. Of course they do all the work, so if you value your time doing this more than the cost they charge for it then why not use them?

• Like 1