Travelling outside of Australia while waiting for citizenship application to be processed

DJH

Hi, 

I applied for citizenship in March 2019 (I am currently a permanent resident) and wondering if I can travel outside of Australia for a month trip back to the UK at Christmas time (holiday to see family). If so, do I need to notify the immigration department or update my citizenship application in the portal? 

Cheers, 

David

23 hours ago, DJH said:

Hi, 

I applied for citizenship in March 2019 (I am currently a permanent resident) and wondering if I can travel outside of Australia for a month trip back to the UK at Christmas time (holiday to see family). If so, do I need to notify the immigration department or update my citizenship application in the portal? 

Cheers, 

David

It's fine, as long as your RRV is still valid should be all good. 

I also applied Feb 2019. Went overseas In April for at least 3 weeks, returned and got a test invite so should be ok. 

P. S in the original lodgement I did let them know I would be oversease in April. 

Edited by Tanwi

It's fine so long as you still have your permanent/RRV visa to get back in the country. 

Just be aware that if this trip takes your total days outside of Aus over 90, as part of your application for citizenship, you will probably get asked by the dept of immigration for police checks for countries you've spent the most time in. 

Edited by cybervoodoo
spelling error

Thanks for the advice. I'll plan the holiday without worrying about it! Tanwi, lucky you that your citizenship application seems to be getting processed really quick! I am expecting mine to take at least 12 months or longer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 08:27, DJH said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll plan the holiday without worrying about it! Tanwi, lucky you that your citizenship application seems to be getting processed really quick! I am expecting mine to take at least 12 months or longer.

Sounds quick but doesn't feel like it. 

Approval pending hitting 2 months soon on that wait.