BREAK LEASE - Anybody done it??

Guest Babes-in-Oz

Guest Babes-in-Oz

Just wondered if anybody had been through breaking a lease early. We are leaving a tenancy before the end of the lease and have been told we will be responsible for the rent up to them finding a new tenant. We unfortunately signed up for 12 months and will have 6 months left on it when we return to UK. Obviously I am a little concerned if they do not find another tenant quickly leaving us to pay the rent for possibly 6 months!! The property we are in is really nice but there does seem to be other properties in the area that are not renting out and which are cheaper than ours. Anyone got any information or any advice which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hiya the agency is right ,however it shouldnt take long to re-let a property in the current market ,where on the Gold Coast are you,maybe put a post on here so any newcomers have a head start at grabbing a house,when is it vacant from and what sort of house etc ,,i will also mention to clients coming over if it fits their criteria

hope you sort it good luck

Cal x

Guest taffy 62

Yep thats true we had to break our lease in vitoria we had 8 weeks to go and had to keep paying the rent until they found someone which took them 4 weeks, as they are not too bothered as the rent was being paid. we also had to pay advertising fees.

We have 3 months on our lease here and i would love to break it and move back to wodonga tomorow if i could but we dont want to run the risk of having to pay 2 lots of rent (even though i dont think it would be a problem for them to re let this place as properties are in demand in brisbane.) as we wont be working initially and will have to live off our savings wich would be hard.

Guest Babes-in-Oz

Thanks for those replies. We are on Jacobs Ridge Estate in Ormeau. The property is a 3 bedroom lowset with a separate study. The fittings are, to me, better quality than the standard houses you can rent hence we pay $450.00 per week. We are renting through an Agency who say they will advertise it 2-3 weeks before we are due to leave. Surely if I give them a date now they can start to advertise it !! So I can find my own tenant and put them forward to the Agents? Many thanks.

Guest taffy 62

Sorry may i ask how long you have been here in oz and why are you going back?

It seems there are a lot of people going back or unhappy in qld just lately especially from the brisbane area.

Guest Babes-in-Oz

We will have been here just short of 18 months when we return in September. We have various reasons for returning but feel it has been a great experience. I have two teenage kids who are back in UK - one of which came with me but returned after 5 months, Husband cannot get into a Management position and basically we have tried it but it is not for us. You do not know until you have experienced everything for yourself how you will feel. Thanks for asking.

Guest itskaren
Just wondered if anybody had been through breaking a lease early. We are leaving a tenancy before the end of the lease and have been told we will be responsible for the rent up to them finding a new tenant. We unfortunately signed up for 12 months and will have 6 months left on it when we return to UK. Obviously I am a little concerned if they do not find another tenant quickly leaving us to pay the rent for possibly 6 months!! The property we are in is really nice but there does seem to be other properties in the area that are not renting out and which are cheaper than ours. Anyone got any information or any advice which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We broke our lease in mt Martha. We had 4 months to go. So annoying as it cost us a fortune. Still I was happy to see the back of it.

Guest taffy 62

Thanks for your reply. I wish you all the best.

I agree you have to try or you will never know and always wonder.

Same here I have only moved interstate but realise now it was a mistake, but it was something I kept thinking about and the only way to get over it was to do it, but at least I know now and when I go back should be able to settle. (well lets hope so anyway lol).

Guest Babes-in-Oz

Cheers taffy 62 - all the best to you too - hope you can settle easily when you move again.

Guest razbolch

can anyone give a rough idea of advertising costs as we want to move midway through our lease and the agent said we'll just have to pay for adverts (melbourne city suberb)

thanks

Guest donovan

Hiya Babes in Oz, I relocate people to the Gold Coast, so will try and see if we can put anyone forward for your property.

Failing that as others have said you will be responsible for any advertising cost and the balance of your lease.

Maybe someone on here may want it, you never know

Sarah x

Guest Brendan/Mandy
Thanks for those replies. We are on Jacobs Ridge Estate in Ormeau. The property is a 3 bedroom lowset with a separate study. The fittings are, to me, better quality than the standard houses you can rent hence we pay $450.00 per week. We are renting through an Agency who say they will advertise it 2-3 weeks before we are due to leave. Surely if I give them a date now they can start to advertise it !! So I can find my own tenant and put them forward to the Agents? Many thanks.

We also pay $450 a week rent we were told if they found someone sraight away we would still have to pay $450 + $25 advertising fee for breaking the lease.

I think what I will do as like you say they are going to be slack at finding a replacement tenant as rent will still be getting paid, I am goin to advertise around local shops maybe put it in local paper & try to find a tenant to replace us & direct them to agent (Elders) for more info on our property. As we too have been told all rent must be paid until replacement is found.

good luck mandy

Guest itskaren
We also pay $450 a week rent we were told if they found someone sraight away we would still have to pay $450 + $25 advertising fee for breaking the lease.

I think what I will do as like you say they are going to be slack at finding a replacement tenant as rent will still be getting paid, I am goin to advertise around local shops maybe put it in local paper & try to find a tenant to replace us & direct them to agent (Elders) for more info on our property. As we too have been told all rent must be paid until replacement is found.

good luck mandy

when we broke our lease in Mt Martha I called the agents bluff and said that I had found someone to continue the rent. I was told that I would still have to pay a fee to get then vetted which was 2 weeks rent! so basically they have you by the 'short and curlies' whichever way you look!

Guest Babes-in-Oz

Thanks for all the comments. I cannot imagine having to pay for 6 months on a property I am not living in!!! We hope they will start advertising it straight away and that will give them 9 weeks to find another Tenant. The Agents have been good so far and yes we too have to pay one weeks rent plus GST and also $55.00 for advertising fees. Brendan/Mandy are you returning to UK or simply moving to another property? Hope you manage to find a tenant quickly - fingers crossed for you.

• 2 months later...
Guest driver_diver

The rental market here seems absolutely one sided in favour of the landlord, surely if someone is returning to the uk just go and sod their charges! the agents here are scum anyway

Guest Teufel

Advertise it yourself. Say nothing. Put new tennants in. Take their bond and first two weeks rent. Then tell the agent. Shouldn't be a problem. I've done it. Don't ask, just do. If they don't like it, tough. You got your money they got a tennant. Really, they don't have a leg to stand on and you'll be gone anyway. Hope this is of some help.

We will have been here just short of 18 months when we return in September. We have various reasons for returning but feel it has been a great experience. I have two teenage kids who are back in UK - one of which came with me but returned after 5 months, Husband cannot get into a Management position and basically we have tried it but it is not for us. You do not know until you have experienced everything for yourself how you will feel. Thanks for asking.

I was just wondering when you knew that it wasn't for you?

I've been here six months now and I still don't feel happy or at home or settled. I've read many posts on the subject and tried. I don't compare things to the UK, I've made a lot of friends but a feeling in me just isn't happy.

So I'm always curious of other people's feelings and stories!

Archived