Driving license application in QLD and UK points

elbow271

Hey Guys

Moving to QLD this week and i was curious to know when applying for my Oz driving license, will any existing points be transferred across to the new Aussie license? Also a thought did cross my mind that if i were to get caught speeding a day or 2 before i left( i promise this hasnt already happened!  🙂  ) , would this then get picked up by the RTA as a 'pending' issue which does concern me as i wouldn't know about it and may have missed being able to sort it out in the UK.  I have 6 points already so want to be prepared for any surprises. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Hey Guys
Moving to QLD this week and i was curious to know when applying for my Oz driving license, will any existing points be transferred across to the new Aussie license? Also a thought did cross my mind that if i were to get caught speeding a day or 2 before i left( i promise this hasnt already happened!  [emoji846]  ) , would this then get picked up by the RTA as a 'pending' issue which does concern me as i wouldn't know about it and may have missed being able to sort it out in the UK.  I have 6 points already so want to be prepared for any surprises. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

I was caught speeding 7 days before we moved. All I can say is it’s better not to!!!
I got the letter the day before we left and I spent ages speaking to people because we didn’t have a forwarding address but I was willing to admit it so I just wanted it expedited (which they could not do). Well, I then had to follow up with numerous emails and calls from Australia, I eventually had a court summons sent to my old U.K. address because I sent my licence from Australia to the U.K. to have points applied and they acknowledged receipt of it but then lost it and tried to take me to court for not sending it! Thankfully I had all my emails and phone calls as evidence! So they dropped the points which wouldn’t have applied in Australia anyway but they made me pay the fine [emoji849]
Just.....don’t .....
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, elbow271 said:

Hey Guys

Moving to QLD this week and i was curious to know when applying for my Oz driving license, will any existing points be transferred across to the new Aussie license? Also a thought did cross my mind that if i were to get caught speeding a day or 2 before i left( i promise this hasnt already happened!  🙂  ) , would this then get picked up by the RTA as a 'pending' issue which does concern me as i wouldn't know about it and may have missed being able to sort it out in the UK.  I have 6 points already so want to be prepared for any surprises. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Your concerns are easy to deal with,  just don’t speed.  If you do and end up killing someone you’ll be going to prison rather than Oz.  You’ve already got six points, time to start driving properly. You’ll get a shock in Oz, speed limits much slower than the UK and they are heavily enforced. Start practising sticking to the law now and your concerns will immediately vanish. 

Edited by Tulip1

Your concerns are easy to deal with,  just don’t speed.  If you do and end up killing someone you’ll be going to prison rather than Oz.  You’ve already got six points, time to start driving properly. You’ll get a shock in Oz, speed limits much slower than the UK and they are heavily enforced. Start practising sticking to the law now and your concerns will immediately vanish. 

Edited 2 hours ago by Tulip1

Hey Tulip, thanks for not answering the question at all! I'm surprised you didn't tell me to repeat my Hail Mary's ten times and go and stand in the corner.

21 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

I was caught speeding 7 days before we moved. All I can say is it’s better not to!!!
I got the letter the day before we left and I spent ages speaking to people because we didn’t have a forwarding address but I was willing to admit it so I just wanted it expedited (which they could not do). Well, I then had to follow up with numerous emails and calls from Australia, I eventually had a court summons sent to my old U.K. address because I sent my licence from Australia to the U.K. to have points applied and they acknowledged receipt of it but then lost it and tried to take me to court for not sending it! Thankfully I had all my emails and phone calls as evidence! So they dropped the points which wouldn’t have applied in Australia anyway but they made me pay the fine emoji849.png
Just.....don’t .....

Sounds pretty tough and im glad you got it sorted. I just wondered what would happen if i was unaware of the speeding ticket and because of my absence, what would eventually happen with applying for a license in Oz, would i suddenly show up as having ignored a court summons etc?

2 hours ago, elbow271 said:

Edited 2 hours ago by Tulip1

Hey Tulip, thanks for not answering the question at all! I'm surprised you didn't tell me to repeat my Hail Mary's ten times and go and stand in the corner.

I did answer your question. You said any help would be appreciated. Surely all you need to do is not speed and your possible future issue will not happen.  My help was just reiterating the obvious but it was still offering help as maybe you hadn’t thought about how simple the solution is. 

Sounds pretty tough and im glad you got it sorted. I just wondered what would happen if i was unaware of the speeding ticket and because of my absence, what would eventually happen with applying for a license in Oz, would i suddenly show up as having ignored a court summons etc?

Thanks!!
I’ve heard people saying their points have caught up with them in some states but haven’t heard it in QLD so I don’t know whether they would be applied to a QLD Licence or not and I honestly don’t know how far a summons for a traffic offence would travel either if you hadn’t supplied a forwarding address because you did not know you needed to.
Depending on how far it did go through court, I guess it may show up on a Police Clearance though if you needed one down the line? For a visa or citizenship for example?

I did answer your question. You said any help would be appreciated. Surely all you need to do is not speed and your possible future issue will not happen.  My help was just reiterating the obvious but it was still offering help as maybe you hadn’t thought about how simple the solution is. 

Tulip, my questions were about past events,not anything to do with how to drive in Oz. but thank you for your efforts, 3/10