Process to getting medicare

Hi, 

We have just arrived in oz on a 189 visa. We havnt got jobs yet. I have heard we can get medicare straight away. So planning on getting it sorted. After doing a bit of research I'm just wondering if anyone has done this recently?  We applied for tax numbers last night so waiting on them to arrive. Can we get medicare sorted without these numbers? Is there any other documents that we need to bring to the centrelink? 

Thanks in advance

Joanne

4 minutes ago, Jo40485 said:

Hi, 

We have just arrived in oz on a 189 visa. We havnt got jobs yet. I have heard we can get medicare straight away. So planning on getting it sorted. After doing a bit of research I'm just wondering if anyone has done this recently?  We applied for tax numbers last night so waiting on them to arrive. Can we get medicare sorted without these numbers? Is there any other documents that we need to bring to the centrelink? 

Thanks in advance

Joanne

You do not need a TFN to register for Medicare.

Just take your passport and visa details and a good book (it could be a long wait).

5 hours ago, Jo40485 said:

Hi, 

Thanks in advance

Joanne

Hey Joanne, I did my medicare recently. You have to got to CenterLink to apply for medicare. Download and fill this form before you go there. It will cut down your waiting time and they appreciate that as well.https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/forms/ms004