Resident return visa question?

lesleyB

Our situation- PR visa Granted 2009. Lived in oz for 3 1/2 years. Returned to UK 2014 for sick family reasons. visa ran out that year.

Applied for Resident Return visa and it was granted until Aug 2020. Hopefully returning before then but what if it runs out? Will we be eligible for another RR visa having only been on holiday there in last 5 years? if we can get another, how long will we get? And if my daughter doesn't come (she's not on board at the moment), will she get another RR visa at a later date if she changes her mind after weve gone? She was 8 when it was originally granted and will be 19 next year. I've tried looking on the gov website but can't find answers to my specific questions. If anyone can help that would be fab. Thanks in advance.

These are all hypothetical questions, but:

- yes you can apply for another RRV, but as you do not meet the two years in the past 5 residence requirement, you will need to demonstrate "substantial ties" to Australia to be eligible

- it would be one year validity

- your daughter can apply later, but will also need to demonstrate substantial ties (and compelling reasons for absence if she has been away for more than 5 years). It would be better to keep her current on her RRV.

Thanks Paul. We fully intended being back before 2020 and it looks like we will be if all goes to plan. In which case we won't need it but my daughter will if she comes later. I suppose us living there will be substantial ties enough for her?

57 minutes ago, lesleyB said:

Thanks Paul. We fully intended being back before 2020 and it looks like we will be if all goes to plan. In which case we won't need it but my daughter will if she comes later. I suppose us living there will be substantial ties enough for her?

My understanding of this is that if she is a student (and therefore dependent on you) she stands a decent chance, however if she is in full time work and supporting herself then just having parents in country that she isn't dependent on is usually not enough of a reason. 

I'm only going of what others have told me as I have a similar potential issue in the future (although we haven't even got a visa yet so in our case it is all hypothetical)

• Like 1