PTE Academic English Test

Lizzie.

Hi all, 

Has anyone sat the PTE english test? I'm applying for a 190 Skilled Visa however in order to get enough points I have to complete this exam. I have looked online and read through the examples but still not sure what to expect or how best to revise!

If anyone could give me some advice/tips on how to revise it would be much appreciated!

Thank you, 

Lizzie

I needed 79+ in PTE because I'm an old fuddy duddy. Tried IELTS got 3 9s and a 7.5 in writing.

IELTS takes an age to schedule and get results back, instead I went online to Pearson booked a test 3 days in the future (started at 2pm) and got the results back by 6:30am the next morning.

All 90s (top mark) even the non immigration required supporting skills.

It's really easy and if English is your first language it's very difficult to get wrong, I guess if you need 79+ the nerves might hit but if all you need is functional I can't see a problem

13 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I needed 79+ in PTE because I'm an old fuddy duddy. Tried IELTS got 3 9s and a 7.5 in writing.

IELTS takes an age to schedule and get results back, instead I went online to Pearson booked a test 3 days in the future (started at 2pm) and got the results back by 6:30am the next morning.

All 90s (top mark) even the non immigration required supporting skills.

It's really easy and if English is your first language it's very difficult to get wrong, I guess if you need 79+ the nerves might hit but if all you need is functional I can't see a problem

Haha I also need 79 in the exam so I am quite nervous, but i'll just give it a try! What did you use to revise?

Thank you for your help, its much appreciated! 

Lizzie

There are loads of free YouTube videos that show what each type of question is like (there are 20 types across the exam). Well worth a Google, but you can't mark them (they are just videos) so you can only get a feel for how you doing.

I spent the $30usd and got a mock test from Pearson themselves (which is identical to the real thing except you take it at home and the score isn't valid for immigration - it's even marked by the same computer marker as the real thing)

Thanks gives you a real indicator of where your strengths and weaknesses lie

• Like 1

The other piece of advice is to forgot the others doing the test, it's really a bit weird having 10 people in a room all in little cubicles talking away at the same time.

Just ignore them, you are all getting different questions from a large question bank and in differing order so there is no benefit to hearing another person's answer.

Similarly if the person next to you is answering one word answers and you are still on read aloud it isn't an indication that they are ahead or behind you it's just the duration of the questions they've been asked as opposed to you.

Also the start time runs from when you hit start so some people who have been in the room longer will have started earlier - it doesn't matter each of you have your own independent time allowance - so don't feel the need to rush to catch up

• Like 1

Also it's about fluency, so it's best to say something rather than nothing. For example one set of questions is repeat the sentence...

Now if you can't remember all the words you heard just say the ones you can, the system gives you partial credit for the words you do say, it gives you nothing if you say nothing

That's probably all, but if you have anything else you want to ask just let me know

• Like 1

My wife is due to sit the test this month and requires 79+, I believe she will have no problem but as you say above it is just perhaps the nerves on the day. We are also going to buy the mock test, could perhaps ease the pressure if she passes the mock test first. Good luck with your test as well!

• Like 1

One other piece of advice then is run the mock test in normal life conditions. 

i.e sit her down for the full 3 hours and run it as a straight through test but make sure that the rest of house just does it's usual stuff - if you take it in complete silence you'll get really spooked by the background noise of the other exam takers on the day

• Like 1

Hi Ausvisitor, thank you sooo so much for all of those tips! I really appreciate the feedback! I’m going to get a mock test and watch some YouTube tips to get started! 

Thank you Craig! Good luck to your wife, let me know how it goes! 

Best wishes, 

Lizzie

On 03/04/2019 at 09:46, Ausvisitor said:

One other piece of advice then is run the mock test in normal life conditions. 

i.e sit her down for the full 3 hours and run it as a straight through test but make sure that the rest of house just does it's usual stuff - if you take it in complete silence you'll get really spooked by the background noise of the other exam takers on the day

The both times I took my test I was the only one in the room. Guess it depends on where you take it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

hey all, I also need 79+ in PTE Exam but I take tips & tricks from PTE Voucher Code website also I watched lots of youtube video for tips & tricks so I attempt a number of times but sometimes I get 60 to 65 but I book my PTE Exam  with a voucher from PTE Voucher Code they provide  mock test and practice with them and i get 75+ in the exam.

Hi guys ,

I need a small help

I’ve submitted my 186 visa Direct Entry Stream  application through the company I work for 2 months ago . The question I wanna ask if anyone knows is, my wife as a secondary applicant got a IELTS result few days ago overall score 5 , W-5.5 L-5.5 R-4 and S-5.5 . Has she failed considering that one of the bands it’s less then 4.5 in this case R-4 but still overall score is 5. As a secondary applicant she have to pass Functional level of English but I can’t really understand what is saying on the immigration web page does it each band has to be at least 4.5 score or just a overall score of 4.5??? I know that secondary fee if she don’t pass Functional English is around $5000 . If anyone knows anything about this pls share the information guys I would much appreciate !thanks 

• 5 months later...
On 03/04/2019 at 19:13, Craig Colas said:

My wife is due to sit the test this month and requires 79+, I believe she will have no problem but as you say above it is just perhaps the nerves on the day. We are also going to buy the mock test, could perhaps ease the pressure if she passes the mock test first. Good luck with your test as well!

There are two ways to get 79+ in PTE. First one is to prepare hard for over a month with study materials from various credible sources like E2language and few others and take mock tests from Ptegurus.

Second and easier one is to think like a computer and understand the scoring mechanism that the AI system of pearson uses to score. I personally feel that you can score 90 easily in writing and speaking. And you will just need to prepare for listening and reading which makes it very less difficult.