Basic question

Hello I'm just wondering if everyone has to take the English test?  Myself and my partner are both on the shortage skills list,  I'm a teacher and he's a lift engineer. He's an amazing engineer but not the best with literacy! Would a low score from himself limit our chances? Does everyone have to do it? Thanks

13 hours ago, Emmabobby said:

Hello I'm just wondering if everyone has to take the English test?  Myself and my partner are both on the shortage skills list,  I'm a teacher and he's a lift engineer. He's an amazing engineer but not the best with literacy! Would a low score from himself limit our chances? Does everyone have to do it? Thanks

It's actually not as basic a question as you may think and depends on many factors such as:

• Type of visa you are applying for;
  • Primary or secondary applicant;
  • Country of passport;
  • If applying for a points tested visa, whether English points are required;
  • If applying for a points tested visa, whether partner points are required.

Some more context or details may elicit more accurate responses.

A lot of people don't 'need' to take the test because they have a degree taught in English or passport from recognised English speaking country.  However, most people take the test anyway as they need the points in order to get invited to apply for the visa.  The only way you can claim points for English is by completing a recognised test.

I did the IELTS test (general - academic is only required for certain occupations and would be requested in skills assessment).  If you google "IELTS practice tests" you'll find plenty.  Doing the practice tests is important so you get used to the format.  The advice I can give is answer the questions, don't infer anything or extrapolate an answer outside of what the question is asking.  When you do the practice tests you'll understand what I'm getting at.   Also, in the listening test stay focused.  Its easy as a first language speaker to not concentrate as it seems so basic and then you can end up missing the answer as you're not paying attention.