Partner visa application queries

bencooke86

Hi guys,

Couple of things regarding the partner visa application, if someone doesn't mind helping me.

First, is the sponsor considered an applicant? When it asks "Have any of the applicants visited any countries for less than 12 months in the past 10 years?", plural 'applicants', do I as the sponsor have to fill in the countries I've been to? Or is it just for the foreigner half of the relationship, along with any children or parents or whatever she or he is bringing along?

Also, can one change the application once it is submitted and paid for, as new information/evidence comes into being? We want to submit it now, before the new law comes into effect, even though we haven't got all our evidentiary documents sorted. I understand a case officer will only look at it months and months down the track, and that you only submit documents after you submit and pay for the application anyway. But can you edit the application itself? 

Finally, has anyone had experience of whether you can apply for and get a working holiday visa while you're waiting for the first stage of an offshore partner visa to be processed? Most forums only allude to it being possible for the partner to come on a tourist visa once the 309 application is in, but I've asked two migration agents and they say it's absolutely fine to come in on a WHV, as long as you pop out when the decision is ready to be made. Confirm or deny?

Cheers all,

Ben.

I applied for this visa but can only answer your first question!  The applicant (ie, non-Australian) is the only one who has to provide the list of countries etc. 

Not sure on the rest as I submitted all my information in one hit, and didn't come into Australia until however long after the visa was granted (see footer for details). 

Edited by vickyplum

2 hours ago, bencooke86 said:

Hi guys,

Couple of things regarding the partner visa application, if someone doesn't mind helping me.

First, is the sponsor considered an applicant? When it asks "Have any of the applicants visited any countries for less than 12 months in the past 10 years?", plural 'applicants', do I as the sponsor have to fill in the countries I've been to? Or is it just for the foreigner half of the relationship, along with any children or parents or whatever she or he is bringing along?

Also, can one change the application once it is submitted and paid for, as new information/evidence comes into being? We want to submit it now, before the new law comes into effect, even though we haven't got all our evidentiary documents sorted. I understand a case officer will only look at it months and months down the track, and that you only submit documents after you submit and pay for the application anyway. But can you edit the application itself? 

Finally, has anyone had experience of whether you can apply for and get a working holiday visa while you're waiting for the first stage of an offshore partner visa to be processed? Most forums only allude to it being possible for the partner to come on a tourist visa once the 309 application is in, but I've asked two migration agents and they say it's absolutely fine to come in on a WHV, as long as you pop out when the decision is ready to be made. Confirm or deny?

Cheers all,

Ben.

On your second point, while you can and probably will add additional information after you submit (all of it is technically added after you submit as you cannot attached anything until you submit and pay) you should be aware that a case officer can and sometimes will consider the application based on the submitted evidence without asking for anything additional or missing.  So if you submit now without sufficient evidence, there is a risk they see a half baked application and reject it, and you lose your $7000 and back to the start.  Not recommended.

Get everything together, submit, then upload all your evidence as soon as you can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

On your second point, while you can and probably will add additional information after you submit (all of it is technically added after you submit as you cannot attached anything until you submit and pay) you should be aware that a case officer can and sometimes will consider the application based on the submitted evidence without asking for anything additional or missing.  So if you submit now without sufficient evidence, there is a risk they see a half baked application and reject it, and you lose your $7000 and back to the start.  Not recommended.

Get everything together, submit, then upload all your evidence as soon as you can.

Thanks! Though if you add additional information/documents without him asking, would he take that into account. As I say, doesn't the case officer only get to it months and months down the track anyway?

1 minute ago, bencooke86 said:

Thanks! Though if you add additional information/documents without him asking, would he take that into account. As I say, doesn't the case officer only get to it months and months down the track anyway?

Yes they will take into account later additions when they get to it.  Most likely they don't look at it for several months, but ho knows?  This time last year a 309 was granted in 5 weeks.  You are gambling with your money.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes they will take into account later additions when they get to it.  Most likely they don't look at it for several months, but ho knows?  This time last year a 309 was granted in 5 weeks.  You are gambling with your money.

Thanks man, appreciate the input.

We uploaded all the documents required a few days after we submitted and paid for the application. Like Jon the Hat said, get as much as you can uploaded straightaway. That said, we’ve uploaded a few extra bits since our initial application last October like an End of Year Mortgage statement that came through or new evidence of joint travel.

No idea on the WHV though. Good luck!

23 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

And sometimes they triage the applications, and you could fail that process if all the evidence isn't there. Really not worth the risk. Take the time to submit a watertight application. Is it worth the risk? Do you have a contingency if you get a refusal? Partner visa have a high % of rejections. Don't be one of them!

Edited by Beffers