Tax on money transfer from UK to Australia

natandkev24

No again you are just transferring assets not making them.  My accountant also advised that currency gains should also not be taxed in this sort of circumstance as you are not intending to make money from currency exchange rates, on the other hand if you lose out you don't get to claim a loss!

If however you make interest on the cash whilst it is deposited that should be reported and will be subject to tax as it is considered as income.

I would honestly advise you get an accountant to do your first tax returns in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:30, rammygirl said:

No again you are just transferring assets not making them.  My accountant also advised that currency gains should also not be taxed in this sort of circumstance as you are not intending to make money from currency exchange rates, on the other hand if you lose out you don't get to claim a loss!

If however you make interest on the cash whilst it is deposited that should be reported and will be subject to tax as it is considered as income.

I would honestly advise you get an accountant to do your first tax returns in Australia.

Hi Rammy Girl, sorry to jump on this thread. Can you recommend your accountant? Also do they do Australian and UK tax returns? Thanks