Returning to work (after bringing up children) - healthcare or childcare?

W2O

I wonder if anyone can help...

I’m currently in the process of waiting for my offshore partner visa and am researching job opportunities/courses for when we make the move. I qualified as a nurse in the U.K. via the old DipHE route. However, since qualifying in July 2006, I haven’t actually worked as a nurse; I fell pregnant with our first child before securing employment and subsequently focused on bringing up our children (we now have 3). When we move to Australia I would be looking to return to work, and am interested to find out what sort of roles I could do within the healthcare setting. I understand that I would no longer be able to work as a nurse, but am wondering whether I would be eligible to apply for Assistant in Nursing roles based on my previous qualifications. Would I be able to apply with my existing qualifications or would I still be required to complete a Certificate III in Health Services Assistance? Also, can anyone give me an idea of salary please?

The other option I’m considering is working in the childcare sector (teaching assistant/childcare worker etc). I don’t have any qualifications in this, and obviously the only experience I have is bringing up my own children. I’m assuming I’d have to do some sort of course either way, so I’m trying to assess which one I’d have more chance/opportunities with. Any advice welcome, thank you.

4 hours ago, ali said:

In WA hospitals don't have Nursing assistants as the role is in the UK (don't know if it's the same in other states).  You could look at working in aged care facilities/disability services.

Yeah, Victoria had enrolled nurses or pca/hca. No nursing assistants. 

To the OP as you don’t need the job for a visa I’d choose the one you really want to do. Doubt there is much difference in wages as they are a similar level, don’t know that for sure though. 

Good luck!

On 01/02/2019 at 23:24, xxlornaxx said:

Look up jobs in the area you are moving to on seek or indeed or your local health area website and it will show you salary and required certificates/experience. 

I have done that, but was also hoping to get some advice from someone working in either of those fields possibly. Thanks 

@ali @Amber Snowball I wasn’t sure either whether those roles existed in Australia...essentially I was thinking of something similar to the role of an HCA in the UK. We’re moving to Brisbane and it looks like they do possibly have AIN roles, but far more for aged care. 

I know I don’t need to choose a job for visa purposes, but I need to make sure there will be enough roles for what I choose, especially as I will undoubtedly end up having to do some kind of short course initially. I really like the idea of working in the childcare sector, but am concerned about my lack of qualifications/experience (other than bringing up my own children) and my age (early 40’s now). Thanks for your replies 🙂