Moving from Rental to Homeowner

can1983

We are about to move house (finally!) into our own home having lived in a traditional sauna/icebox home for the past 14 months. We are on a rolling lease as the real estate were so incompetent they forgot to force us to renew! (Hobart)

So I wanted to gauge opinions from those that have done this before:

1/ How much overlap would/did you leave from our settlement date to handing back the keys for the rental (to allow for moving, cleaning etc)

2/ How much notice would you give to the rental real estate. The minimum is 2 weeks which I want to give but my wife wants to give them more time. I'm concerned if something crops up with our settlement date well in advance we might  be 'homeless' requiring to move twice!

That will depend on many factors.  Do you wish to do work/decorate your new home? Are you having professional end of lease clean or doing it yourselves? If you can afford to pay the rent to give you the luxury of time to sort things.

We got the keys to our house back after it had been rented out whilst we were in the UK. We stayed in our rental for 6 weeks after this so I could decorate, get new carpets etc. we then booked removals for two days before our lease was up and I did the end of lease clean in an empty house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 09:05, can1983 said:

We are about to move house (finally!) into our own home having lived in a traditional sauna/icebox home for the past 14 months. We are on a rolling lease as the real estate were so incompetent they forgot to force us to renew! (Hobart)

So I wanted to gauge opinions from those that have done this before:

1/ How much overlap would/did you leave from our settlement date to handing back the keys for the rental (to allow for moving, cleaning etc)

2/ How much notice would you give to the rental real estate. The minimum is 2 weeks which I want to give but my wife wants to give them more time. I'm concerned if something crops up with our settlement date well in advance we might  be 'homeless' requiring to move twice!

We're just about to go thru this. Settlement 15/2, move into new house 2/3 and hand keys back on rental after professional cleaning on 4/3 (we both work full time and so wanted a bit more time to move all our stuff). 

We gave our agent two months notice to break lease (we are 8 months into a 12 month lease, and in our second year at the rental) and consequently don't have to pay any break lease fee nor any rent after our final payment on 3/2 (normally when you break a lease here in Vic you pay rent until a new tenant has been secured)!