driving test

calNgary

has the word got back to the uk yet that Queensland has abolished the theory test and you just need to provide ID to swap your uk licence to an ozzy one?

Good news for us that have just arrived i must admit the police are more lienient if your stopped and produce a uk licence thou!!(even thou i shouldnt know that) they are VERY KEEN on speeding i got pulled on a remote road late evening and got a big telling off didnt get booked as had uk licence still, watch your speed guys ,they will have you and like the uk alot of the cars arent marked,,

take care

Cal x

Guest Mark'n'Julie

Hi Cal'

Where did you hear about the straight swap for the license's ?

I've just been on the Queensland transport web site and it still says you are required to take the theory test! I would to to think your wright

Mark

A friend i met on here ,,Poeblo ,,failed the first time went back and passed ,her hubby waited went the week later and the test was abolished he just had to provide ID and obviously a 5yr fee ,it isnt free like the uk you have to renew every 5 yr ,i think i may do mine soon so will let you know what happens,

Cal x

• 2 months later...
Guest Cool_Eyes

How does Mebourne work can you simply exchange you licence over or do you still need to do the theory test ?

Hi Cool eyes,

Here in NSW i assume it could be the same as the rest of the states, you dont need to do any type to be able to get a aussie driving licence, i got my licence in aug last year just proved my address in oz here and paid a fee, you can get one year or a 5 year one.

Guest steve110

If you go to the DVLA website,there is a list of countries that have a license exchange agreement with the UK.

Australia is of course one of these countries.

You would only have to take the theory test to learn the counties relevant rd laws(makes sense).

• 1 month later...
Guest Arran&Bev

RESULT !!thanks for the info been on back of my mind.lot to sort out when we get there so this is one less thing to sort out .got ALFIE our dog coming over and out of quarantine ,5weeks after we get there lot of our time trying to get some where 4 my lass the dog and me to stay( in that order)

• 1 month later...
Guest The Jenners

Confirmation for Melbourne - just head for a VicRoads office, you fill out the forms, pay the dosh and they take your picture...

they do take your UK photocard bit though, but not the paper part :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest haysgood

Hi the Jenners,

Do you know if you need to have your UK licence for a certain period of time before you do the straight swap? I

I have looked on the Vic roads website and they say you need to have held a UK licence for 3 years (I have heard that this website is not up to date which is why I am querying this...!). I have always lived in London (no need to drive here!) so have procrastinated getting my licence - I've only just got it. We plan to be in Melbourne next June so will have only had it for 1 year...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:goofy:

Archived