pension

joycee1

Hi  A pal (uk ex pat) needs to return to UK with dementia wife) asked me to find out about pensions --he gets fixed Uk pension from UK   when they return will that increase also they have been in Australia 30 years can that pension be taken  with them 

17 minutes ago, joycee1 said:

Hi  A pal (uk ex pat) needs to return to UK with dementia wife) asked me to find out about pensions --he gets fixed Uk pension from UK   when they return will that increase also they have been in Australia 30 years can that pension be taken  with them 

Yes, when he goes back to the UK, he will get the increases to his pension. 

How old is he?  If they're  already getting the Australian aged pension, then yes, they can take that with them, but the amount will be less.  To get the full pension overseas, you need to have lived in Australia for 35 years.  At 30, they'll 30/35ths.   They won't get any supplements.

If they're not old enough to get the Australian pension yet, then they won't be able to claim it if they leave the country.

One thing I'd suggest looking into is their eligibility for support services.  I don't know enough about it, but I believe there are residency requirements before you can get some social services, aged care etc, which they might need if his wife is unwell.

Edited by Marisawright

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 03:56, Marisawright said:

One thing I'd suggest looking into is their eligibility for support services.  I don't know enough about it, but I believe there are residency requirements before you can get some social services, aged care etc, which they might need if his wife is unwell.

I'd encourage your pal and his wife to consider carefully a move back to the UK. I moved recently to the UK (and am about to return to Oz) and what I failed to plan for was the length of time it took to get support services in place (if at all). The system is different in that social care is controlled by local authorities rather than the Department of Human Services (in Australia) and this means that there is no consistency. Add this to austerity and some councils being under financial pressure and as a new arrival being at the back of the queue.

Maybe take a look at carer's UK forum https://www.carersuk.org/forum

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 13:30, Melbpom said:

I'd encourage your pal and his wife to consider carefully a move back to the UK. I moved recently to the UK (and am about to return to Oz) and what I failed to plan for was the length of time it took to get support services in place (if at all). The system is different in that social care is controlled by local authorities rather than the Department of Human Services (in Australia) and this means that there is no consistency. Add this to austerity and some councils being under financial pressure and as a new arrival being at the back of the queue.

Maybe take a look at carer's UK forum https://www.carersuk.org/forum

Yes I was thinking similar.