UK car insurance

Ads

Just returned to uk from oz. Using my uk drivers license and passport to get quotes for 2nd hand cars but they won't accept my aussie car insurance full no claims bonus. Getting ridiculously high quotes for thousands of pounds. Anyone know of a work around, an insurance company which will accept no claims from oz.

We went with Aviva, and they accepted my no claims without question. I just gave them a letter from AAMI stating policy start and end date (I'd been with them the whole time we were in Australia), policy holder full name, and how many years with no claim. I can't remember exactly how much it saved us, but we paid £633 this year (second year of policy) for two named drivers on two cars (a Volvo XC60 and a Volvo V40). We are both over 40 with no claims and no speeding fines, and live in a rural area of Scotland.

12 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Not all insurers would provide it. My home and contents provider Allianz said no.......

You should still have renewal docs on email from Allianz that show the level they would insure you at becuase of no claims, they can't take those back 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ferrets said:

You should still have renewal docs on email from Allianz that show the level they would insure you at becuase of no claims, they can't take those back 😉

Nice one!

Too late for me now but good idea. Luckily home and contenrs is much cheaper for me here anyway but car insurance is more  expensive for me so glad I could get something recognised. 😊

On 13/12/2018 at 16:06, Ads said:

Just returned to uk from oz. Using my uk drivers license and passport to get quotes for 2nd hand cars but they won't accept my aussie car insurance full no claims bonus. Getting ridiculously high quotes for thousands of pounds. Anyone know of a work around, an insurance company which will accept no claims from oz.

Aviva, make sure you get a no claims statement posted to you by your Australian insurer whist in Australia  and take it back with you. They won't do it until you cancel.

I'm not sure but' Insurance direct' may do overseas drivers

Choose your 1st car in uk with a low insurance class, once you get insurance in uk with Australian no claims then it starts your uk no claims + Australian no claims 

44 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Aviva, make sure you get a no claims statement posted to you by your Australian insurer whist in Australia  and take it back with you. They won't do it until you cancel.

I'm not sure but' Insurance direct' may do overseas drivers

Choose your 1st car in uk with a low insurance class, once you get insurance in uk with Australian no claims then it starts your uk no claims + Australian no claims 

Am I correct in thinking they like it showing years of no claims not percentage of discount as well? Mine with Aami showed it in years but not sure if all insurers do that.

On 13/12/2018 at 16:06, Ads said:

Sorry didn't realise you are already in uk, try contacting your insurer in Australia  and see if they still have you in their records and would send you a copy of the no claims bonus to you.

Also if all else fails try an insurance 'broker' they usually know ways round things hut charge a premium but less than rip off insurer's 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy