One more expat looking for advice

Tom Roffey

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the valuable information put into these forums. 

I am looking to move, with work, to the Sydney area. Just returned from a 2 week trip to view locations etc. There will be 4 of us with our 2 children no longer children really (21 & 18). We were looking at the Shires or Manley!

One question straight away is how do we get cars? Can we enter into a leasing agreement or will we have to pay cash?

Any advice would be great

We live in the Shire 🙂 beautiful beaches and the National park for running, walking and MTBing. I used to live in Manly. Nice, but very touristy. Depends what you want really. Cronulla is up and coming, and the Shire is quieter. Re car: I bought a Jeep on lease over 5 years, so yes you can buy on a car loan, or go to the dealers on Parramatta Rd (miles and miles of second hand car dealers) or car sales.com.au. Hope this helps.

I have seen other people confirm that dealers (Toyota/Honda etc) will give loans if you show your work contract and proof of employment even though you are very new to oz, but that they usually charge a higher rate of interest. Its normal to get a big discount on sticker price on used cars here. Go in at least 20% under sticker.

If you're being transferred for work, ask your company whether you can get a novated lease.  That's where the company takes over the lease of the vehicle and it can reduce your tax.  Just be conscious of the length of the contract compared to how long you will be in Australia!   

The Shire is more reasonably priced than Manly.  Have you looked into the visas for your two children?  

On 09/12/2018 at 04:45, Marisawright said:

If you're being transferred for work, ask your company whether you can get a novated lease.  That's where the company takes over the lease of the vehicle and it can reduce your tax.  Just be conscious of the length of the contract compared to how long you will be in Australia!   

The Shire is more reasonably priced than Manly.  Have you looked into the visas for your two children?  

Thats a great idea Lisa. I will ask about a novated lease. 

The children's visas are being sorted as we speak.