Resuming Citizenship

James G

Hello.

I am unsure if I have posted in the correct area. Sorry if I have not mods. 

I am a UK born citizen studying at University in England and soon will be finishing. I used to live in Australia for 9 years. I forgot to renew my citizenship whilst I was living in the UK. Now I am 3 years away from finishing my degree and wanting to move to Australia for possible work. Can any one explain the process and what I must do or just any recommendations on the matter?

Many thanks in return for replies. 

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I am totally confused about this, sorry. I moved over there with my family on permanent visas for high skilled work. I lived and had been in education there for 9 years. Sorry again for the mix up. Yeah so I had the option to renew that pr visa but I never did it because I had moved back to the UK.

You will need to look at applying for a resident return visa - there are a lot of threads on the subject on the forum with regard to substantial ties to Aus - if you have a job offer that could be something that goes in your favour.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, James G said:

Hello.

I am unsure if I have posted in the correct area. Sorry if I have not mods. 

I am a UK born citizen studying at University in England and soon will be finishing. I used to live in Australia for 9 years. I forgot to renew my citizenship whilst I was living in the UK. Now I am 3 years away from finishing my degree and wanting to move to Australia for possible work. Can any one explain the process and what I must do or just any recommendations on the matter?

Many thanks in return for replies. 

As Ali says, you can apply for a resident return visa. The DHA website has the details. You will need to demonstrate both substantial ties to Australia (and compelling reasons for your absence if have been gone more than 5 years). If you are successful, it would only be a one year visa, so if you are three years away from graduation the timing might be a bit complex. I would have a chat with an RMA around your specific circumstances. 

You say you will soon be finishing your degree but then say you'll finish it in 3 years.  Doesn't make any sense to me, you mean you've just started it then?  The RRV will almost certainly only be given for one year so you need to wait another 2 before you apply I reckon