LoftyTurtle

Hi there, 

I lodged my PR in Feb this year (visa 186) and current processing time is 14-15 months. I am pregnant and due in May 2019, which would be the ‘15th month’ of visa processing so being realistic, there’s a chance I may not have PR by the time baby arrives. 

I’m in full time work (457) and plan to be up until I give birth. Will I be entitled to the 18 week Centrelink maternity leave pay if I don’t have PR? I meet the other eligibility requirements online. 

Will I also need to go for another medical examination after Feb 2019? I completed this in Feb this year and I hear they’re only valid for 12 months.

If anyone has had a similar experience, it would be great to hear from you and understand what happens. Thanks! 

• 1 year later...

On 12/10/2018 at 09:22, LoftyTurtle said:

Hi there, 

I lodged my PR in Feb this year (visa 186) and current processing time is 14-15 months. I am pregnant and due in May 2019, which would be the ‘15th month’ of visa processing so being realistic, there’s a chance I may not have PR by the time baby arrives. 

I’m in full time work (457) and plan to be up until I give birth. Will I be entitled to the 18 week Centrelink maternity leave pay if I don’t have PR? I meet the other eligibility requirements online. 

Will I also need to go for another medical examination after Feb 2019? I completed this in Feb this year and I hear they’re only valid for 12 months.

If anyone has had a similar experience, it would be great to hear from you and understand what happens. Thanks! 

Hi There, did you get any reply or response for the question?

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2019 at 20:05, NickB89 said:

Hi There, did you get any reply or response for the question?

Hey! No you’re not eligible until you have held PR for 1 year prior to the child being born. My little girl is 14 weeks and these were the rules for me. As for the employer pay they can decide whether they will pay you or not, mines chose not too because they follow Centrelink rules (I’m the first ever pregnant employee so it was purely to get of paying me!) My friend I met on here was in the exact same situation. We both returned to work when our babies were very young. @Hayley1376

On 12/10/2018 at 08:22, LoftyTurtle said:

Hi there, 

See below my comments, hope you already have answers 

Hi ! 
Here’s an update on this topic now that I’ve gone through the motions and have the answer to my earlier questions 🙂 

My PR was (thankfully) granted in Dec 2018 which also meant I didn’t need to have another bupa medical assessment. Our baby boy was born in May 2019 (5.5 months later) and I received the full 18 weeks parental pay/maternity pay from the government via centrelink. As I had PR status by the time he was born, he is an Australian citizen. 

Happy to share any other experience if it’ll be helpful for anyone. 

• Thanks 1