Mobile Phone SIM

Davo453

I've searched the forum and can't find this topic but it must be there somewhere....

Which mobile phone SIM to get.

I need pretty good rural coverage loads of data min 30gb sounds ok and would like international calls

Aldi mobile XL plan looks interesting does anyone have that?

Any recommendations appreciate.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a read at the article posted by Cerberus. 

If you want rural then you need to go with one who uses the Telstra or Optus network. I know we were looking at Aldi, well Cerberus was and I believe he said it was the best value and was the Telstra network. If it is Telstra then I would go for this one as going direct to Telstra costs a fortune. We we’re always with Virgin who use the Optus network but ended up changing them all over to Optus but that’s because we do the 2 year contracts and get the new phone. Optus now will give you an upgrade to the latest phone after 12 months with a charge of $100.

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Have a read at the article posted by Cerberus. 

If you want rural then you need to go with one who uses the Telstra or Optus network. I know we were looking at Aldi, well Cerberus was and I believe he said it was the best value and was the Telstra network. If it is Telstra then I would go for this one as going direct to Telstra costs a fortune. We we’re always with Virgin who use the Optus network but ended up changing them all over to Optus but that’s because we do the 2 year contracts and get the new phone. Optus now will give you an upgrade to the latest phone after 12 months with a charge of $100.

Thanks for the reply that's great just the info I was looking for.

My present mobile is only just out of contract and has been extremely good so i will keep it for a while and go for the Aldi Sim. I just wish there was an Aldi in the center of Perth I wonder if they sell them elsewhere....

Edited by Davo453

11 hours ago, Davo453 said:

I'm on the ALDI XL plan and have been since November. It's only 10GB a month but does let you roll over

I've had no issues.  The app was a bit clunky at the start but the latest update is a lot more friendly.

In terms of SIM, register on the website and they will post to you.  I did that when I landed in Tas as they don't have ALDI.

I've searched the forum and can't find this topic but it must be there somewhere....
Which mobile phone SIM to get.
I need pretty good rural coverage loads of data min 30gb sounds ok and would like international calls
Any recommendations appreciate.

We’re with Amaysim & they’re brilliant! They use the Optus network & we’ve never been out of range. We’ve got family in central vic in a really remote Bush town & our signal there is always fine. We used to be with Vodafone & it was often sketchy. For sim only we pay $40 a month & get 20gb data, unlimited landline & mobile calls in Australia & the same to the UK, plus 9 additional countries! It’s unlimited worldwide texts too. You can get the SIM cards in most supermarkets and petrol stations etc, or you can order online for free. If you don’t need the unlimited free calls to the UK the Aldi deals might work out cheaper?
  • Like 1

Tricky isn't it

Good to hear that are alternatives and we can change later if necessary.

The aldi xxl pack is probably what I will go with 20GB the data roll over is attractive and unlimited calls to uk.. Doesn't look like international texts are included though?. But we use whatsapp mostly anyway.

Someone has told me that aldi is only 3g is that correct?

I have a friend that will post a couple of sims to us in the UK so we have them ready when we arrive.

Tricky isn't it

The aldi xxl pack is probably what I will go with 20GB the data roll over is attractive and unlimited calls to uk.. Doesn't look like international texts are included though?. But we use whatsapp mostly anyway.

I have a friend that will post a couple of sims to us in the UK so we have them ready when we arrive.

How much is the Aldi XXL?

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, Davo453 said:

Tricky isn't it

As far as I know it’s 4G and has been for a few years according to this old press release https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/04/aldi-mobile-woolworths-get-4g-on-telstras-network-from-today/

Guest The Pom Queen

@Davo453 have you seen this https://www.canstarblue.com.au/phone/brands/aldi-mobile-phone-plans/

ALDI Mobile Phone Plans & Prices

Global supermarket chain ALDI now offers its own impressive range of affordable, SIM-onlymobile plans. Already established as both a mobile provider and retailer in several European countries, ALDI’s Australian launch sees it go head-to-head with Woolworths Mobile and Coles Mobile in the supermarkets-turned-telcos space.

ALDI Mobile provides prepaid plans that are contract-free, affordable, and easy to self-manage. There’s standard 30-day plans with unlimited talk/text and capped data, as well as long-lasting pay-as-you-go plans ideal for infrequent mobile users.

If you sign up for ALDI Mobile, you will need to provide your own phone, as all plans are SIM-only. However, this does mean ALDI is a good option for customers wanting a flexible prepaid plan with no bill shock, lock-in contracts or need for expensive phone purchases.

ALDI Mobile plans at a glance

ALDI Mobile plans are exclusively prepaid, so you’ll pay for your usage upfront. So if you’ve had issues in the past with overages or unexpected charges, your ALDI plan is a great way to protect against bill shock.

Value Pack plans are offered on a 30-day basis and start from a low $15 per recharge. These plans, three of which are listed below, include unlimited talk and text in Australia, high-speed data use, and (depending on the plan) international calling and texting. Casual, pay-as-you-go plans are also available, again starting from $15 per recharge.

Brand Features Max Data**/billing period Advertised Cost^^/billing period  
ALDIMobile Logo

Small Value Pack

• Unlimited National Calls & SMS
  • $5 Upfront Cost inc. $5 credit

min. cost $15 over 30 day billing period

1.5GB $15  
ALDIMobile Logo

XL Value Pack

• Unlimited calls to 15 countries
  • 200 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $25 over 30 day billing period

10GB $35  
ALDIMobile Logo

Jumbo Value Pack

• 400 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $55 over 30 day billing period

30GB $55  
Canstar BlueView all mobile plans listed on Canstar Blue  **^^View important information 

What does ALDI Mobile offer?

If you consider extras such as free Foxtel, data-free streaming, or live sports to be essentials rather than luxuries, ALDI Mobile probably isn’t the provider for you. But if you want a budget-friendly plan offering good value and some international features, ALDI covers all the basics.

Below are some of the features you may or may not find on ALDI Mobile’s plans. Green ticks indicate a feature is included in, or available on, ALDI Mobile service.

Value Pack plans Pay-as-you-go plans
Entertainment bonuses    
Data-free video streaming    
Data-free music streaming    
International calls/texts    
International roaming    
Set-up fees    
Data overage fees    

Compare Mobile Phone Plans

Find a Mobile Phone Plan 

Phone on a plan
Phone on a plan

SIM only prepaid
SIM only prepaid

SIM only postpaid
SIM only postpaid

ALDI Mobile network and coverage

ALDI Mobile uses the Telstra 4G and 3G network to deliver its phone and data services (which also plays host to the likes of Boost MobileTeleChoice and Woolworths Mobile). This means that ALDI Mobile customers will have access to most of Telstra’s impressive nationwide coverage.

Unfortunately, Telstra’s ultra-fast 4GX service isn’t included on ALDI Mobile plans, but you’ll still get great speeds from standard 4G. This makes ALDI a great option for most Australians, although customers in rural areas may need to double-check online to ensure they’ll be completely covered.

Below is a screenshot of ALDI Mobile’s current 4G and 3G coverage, represented by the green and orange/brown areas. More detailed coverage information can be found at ALDI Mobile’s website.

aldi-coverage-300x246.jpg

ALDI Mobile plans: features and bonuses

All of ALDI Mobile’s plans come with the standard talk and text, plus data use within Australia. All Value Pack plans include data rollover, and international calling is featured on plans of $25 and up.

• International calls: ALDI Mobile’s Large, Extra Large, Extra Extra Large and Jumbo plans all include unlimited standard international calls to 15 countries, and up to 400 minutes of calls to 35 additional countries. Unlimited calling countries include Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Thailand, UK, and USA.
  • Data rollover: All Value Pack plans allow users to roll over any unused gigabytes to subsequent months. To keep your leftover data, you’ll need to recharge with a Value Pack of the same or higher value, within 24 hours of your current plan’s expiry date. Customers can store up to 30GB of extra data.
  • Add-on data: Additional data can be added to your plan at any time, for $10 per gigabyte (to a maximum of 40GB).
  • Auto-recharge: Customers can set up an automatic recharge for any Value Pack through the ALDI Mobile app or online account portal.
  • International roaming: ALDI Mobile customers can use their service overseas in selected countries, provided there is adequate pay-as-you-go credit on their account. Rates for talk, text, and data will vary between countries, with data available for up to $1.00 per megabyte.

ALDI Mobile plans

ALDI Mobile Value Pack plans

ALDI Mobile’s best value products are the aptly-named Mobile Value Pack plans, which offer contract-free postpaid service. Customers can choose from five pack options, with prices beginning at $15 every 30 days for unlimited standard national talk and text, plus 1.5GB of data.

Data inclusions up to 30GB are available, and all plans include data rollover – this means than any unused gigabytes will roll over for later use, so long as you recharge your Value Pack on time. ALDI Mobile’s Large, Extra Large, Extra Extra Large and Jumbo plans also feature unlimited standard calls from Australia to 15 countries, including China, Hong Kong, India, New Zealand, the UK and the US, plus up to 400 minutes of calls to a further 35 countries.

All ALDI Mobile Value Packs come with a 30-day expiry, and as there’s no lock-in contracts, you can switch between plans with each recharge. All five options are listed below.

ALDIMobile Logo

Small Value Pack

min. cost $15 over 30 day billing period

1.5GB $15  
ALDIMobile Logo

Large Value Pack

• 100 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $25 over 30 day billing period

4GB $25  
ALDIMobile Logo

XL Value Pack

• 200 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $25 over 30 day billing period

10GB $35  
ALDIMobile Logo

XXL Value Pack

• 300 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $45 over 30 day billing period

20GB $45  
ALDIMobile Logo

Jumbo Value Pack

• 400 mins to 35 countries

min. cost $55 over 30 day billing period

30GB $55  
Canstar BlueView all mobile plans listed on Canstar Blue  **^^View important information 

ALDI Mobile Pay-As-You-Go plans

If you’re a very light or infrequent mobile user, you may benefit from a long-term, pay-as-you-goplan. ALDI Mobile’s PAYG option gives you a 365-day credit expiry, with all calls, texts and data charged on a per-use basis:

• Standard national calls: $0.12 per minute
  • SMS: $0.12 per message sent
  • MMS: $0.35 per message sent
  • Data: $0.05 per megabyte
ALDIMobile Logo

Pay As You Go $15

• PAYG

min. cost $15 over 365 days

PAYG $15  
ALDIMobile Logo

Pay As You Go $30

• PAYG

min. cost $30 over 365 days

PAYG $30  

Getting support from ALDI Mobile

Need some help with your ALDI Mobile plan or service? The telco offers several contact and support options, including:

Optus have a sim only deal on right now, $35 gives you 30GB data, unlimited local calls and SMSes, unlimited calls and SMSes to international numbers (35 countries), including UK. I got the bigger package as my home broadband is rubbish, 120GB plan for $55 a month.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ABG said:

Optus have a sim only deal on right now, $35 gives you 30GB data, unlimited local calls and SMSes, unlimited calls and SMSes to international numbers (35 countries), including UK. I got the bigger package as my home broadband is rubbish, 120GB plan for $55 a month.

Got a link?  I've not found anything at 120Gb on their site..