Study Master's in Australia or Get Work Experience Overseas?

Jupiter

I have recently completed my "Bachelor of Information Technology" from a good university but it's located outside of Australia. Now, I have two options.

1. Study a Master's by research degree in Australia to get some points. Then, get work experience in Australia and then apply for permanent residency.

2. Work outside Australia for two years to get the required experience and then apply for permanent residency.

Personally, I feel like option 2 is better since I won't have to get in debt to pay for my Master's. But maybe option 1 has a better chance for getting PR, I'm not sure.

To get PR under IT, you probably need 75 points at this time. Check states for graduate pathways though, some offer priority nomination to people who graduate in their state.

There are a LOT of people applying under IT with 75-80 points. Most have never been to AU, may not even be able to get hired in IT, and have poor English (but took the test 6-8 times to get 20 points). But they are what AU 'wants' right now for the 189. An employable graduate from an AU Uni is not currently a desirable candidate for PR, sans state nomination.

Points are king; with the backlog created by the previous immigration minister combined with the flood of people now able to get 20 points for English (with bad English), graduates are SOL.