Moving to another state after meeting 489 criteria while waiting on 887 approval

lynney45

Hi All, as you are aware the rules of the 489 visa stipulate that you must live in a regional area for 2 years and work there for 1 year full time before you can apply for 887.  

Is it ok to move to another state after satisfying this criteria after the two year period elapses, while waiting on 887 to be processed?  As i am aware the processing time for 887 is between 9-12 months currently.  I am wondering if it is possible to work in another state on the 489 visa during this processing time until/hopefully 887 is granted?

Does anyone know if this is possible please?

I should have also asked, if it isn't possible to move to a metropolis area in another state on 489 visa while 887 is being processed.  Then is it possible to transition onto a bridging visa while 887 is being processed, then move to a metropolis area in another state on a bridging visa instead of 489?

• 3 months later...

You can move to any state but only live & work within the area you are allowed to on you 489 Visa. You cannot move to metropolitan cities like Sydney or Melbourne. Your visa remains the same till 887 is granted. if you get a job also in the big cities, it would be illegal which might affect your application. 

Cheers! 

On 06/09/2018 at 20:12, lynney45 said:

Hi All, as you are aware the rules of the 489 visa stipulate that you must live in a regional area for 2 years and work there for 1 year full time before you can apply for 887.  

Is it ok to move to another state after satisfying this criteria after the two year period elapses, while waiting on 887 to be processed?  As i am aware the processing time for 887 is between 9-12 months currently.  I am wondering if it is possible to work in another state on the 489 visa during this processing time until/hopefully 887 is granted?

Does anyone know if this is possible please?

If your read your 489 grant letter and check the conditions associated with it, you will understand the limitations of the visa.

From liasing with my agent i have recently found out that if i meet state sponsorship criteria/conditions on the 489 visa and my visa is about to expire then i can apply for a bridging visa and work in another state while waiting on the 887 being processed.  Therefore i won’t have to stay in SA for 11 months during processing time of 887.

Edited by lynney45

2 hours ago, lynney45 said:

From liasing with my agent i have recently found out that if i meet state sponsorship criteria/conditions on the 489 visa and my visa is about to expire then i can apply for a bridging visa and work in another state while waiting on the 887 being processed.  Therefore i won’t have to stay in SA for 11 months during processing time of 887.

Just for the sake of other people who may be following this thread for information on their own situation, the statement above is not correct.

You cannot apply for a bridging visa if your  visa is about to expire. You must make a valid onshore application for a substantive visa for a bridging visa to be issued. 

• 2 months later...

Hi @Raul Senise

Following on from your comment above, if a 489 visa is about to expire, and you apply for an 887 substantive PR visa, with the bridging visa being automatically issued as part of the application process, can you then move to any other part of Australia on that bridging visa whilst the 887 application is being processed?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/12/2018 at 10:30, Raul Senise said:

Just for the sake of other people who may be following this thread for information on their own situation, the statement above is not correct.

You cannot apply for a bridging visa if your  visa is about to expire. You must make a valid onshore application for a substantive visa for a bridging visa to be issued. 

hi ,is it possible to move on bridging visa