Looking for advice

sherwood86

Hi guys new to forum. looking for a bit of advice... please move to right place if needed i currently live in u.k and want to move/work in australia. i am a vechicle technician with 12 years experiance also recently trained as a plumber awaiting certificates. im 32 and have a partner and 2 boys ones 4 and other is 2. i want to know if theres any way to find work? or do i work with temp visa and see if suitable for 6 months alone or just make the jump with family? and how much is the cost of living? thank you 

You won't be eligible as a plumber, as you need three years post qualification experience and even then it might be hard to get enough points without more experience. Also, do be aware that once in Australia you won't be able to work as a plumber until you obtain a state license. This would involve some college courses and working as a trade assistant for about a year - a bit like an apprentice. 

You mention vehicle technician. Is that a qualified mechanic? 

As Verystormy says Mechanic is on the list for 189 visa. You just need to meet all the requirements to get the visa. Re: cost of living, I personally think it's expensive and I've had to go full time whereas in the UK we could live quite comfortably with me working part time. My OH is a mechanic btw. You'd probably find a job easy enough but salary is quite low compared to the other trades. We're in Melbourne. Whereabouts in Australia are you thinking? House prices have gone silly in last few years and if we were buying now we would either have to increase our monthly payments (already more than double what we were paying in UK or extend our loan term which, in our forties we didn't want to do. Your MOT license wouldn't be valid here and you'd have to do the roadworthy training. 

On 01/09/2018 at 20:01, sherwood86 said:

i currently live in u.k and want to move/work in australia. ... i want to know if theres any way to find work? or do i work with temp visa and see if suitable for 6 months alone or just make the jump with family? and how much is the cost of living? thank you 

If you want to migrate to Australia, then you'll need to apply for your PR visa first, long before you even think about finding work.   By the time you get all your information together, put in the application and then wait to be invited, it takes several months to go through the process - and obviously, no employer is going to sit and wait for you all that length of time.  Many years ago, when Australia had a serious shortage of workers, they would have done it - but unemployment in Australia is much the same as in the UK now. It's not a young country desperately short of tradesmen any more. 

Once you've got your visa, then you might be lucky and land a job before you go, but most people just get on the plane and look for work once they arrive. We've had members here taking six months to find work, so it's important to have a good buffer of savings when you arrive.  

Most people do arrive as a family, all at the same time, but financially it might make more sense for you to come out on your own to see what you think. I would say, though, if you're that doubtful - don't do it.  Australia is not a paradise.  It's got pluses and minuses, like any other country.  Many Brits move to Australia and are blissfully happy, but about the same number discover it's the worst mistake they ever made in their life. The actual process of migration is very expensive and bloody stressful, and if you're not 100% committed and enthusiastic before you start, you'll never get through it with your marriage in one piece!

Personally, I think the cost of living is much the same here as in the UK. Some things are cheaper, some things are dearer.  However, there is one exception - housing.  In some parts of Australia, buying or renting a house is horribly expensive, so choose your area carefully.  Houses in Hobart are about half the cost of houses in Sydney, for instance.

• Like 1