Regional skilled 489

Barrywelsh

Hi,

I’ve recently applied for regional sponsorship 489 as Diagnostic radiographer. I am currently waiting for an invitation to apply, it’s inly been 1 month. I have 70 points. 

My agent said if we don’t hear by October we have to look at an alternative option. Is this likely to happen? My job role has consistently been on the list for years and are QLD likely just to decide they don’t want my application for not logical reason?

Barry ?

32 minutes ago, Barrywelsh said:

Hi,

I’ve recently applied for regional sponsorship 489 as Diagnostic radiographer. I am currently waiting for an invitation to apply, it’s inly been 1 month. I have 70 points. 

My agent said if we don’t hear by October we have to look at an alternative option. Is this likely to happen? My job role has consistently been on the list for years and are QLD likely just to decide they don’t want my application for not logical reason?

Barry ?

Just give it some time, during the meantime think of other ways you can boost your points. Redoing Ielts? You should get an invite soon, hopefully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrywelsh said:

Hi,

Barry ?

Hi Barry, 

I'm a radiographer as well and am also heading to QLD on a 489 visa with 70 points. 

I submitted the EOI back in April and received the initial state invite within a few days. Completed that and received the actual invitation a few weeks after. Lodged for the visa on 1st May and haven't heard anything since!

The whole process is unpredictable so can't really advise on how long the profession will remain on the list. I was under the impression the review it yearly but maybe someone else more in the know can advise you on this.

Good luck 

Hi,
Barry [emoji848]
Has the state confirmed they will sponsor you please?

Ah I see. Well since they have put the minimum points up to 65 many people who previously went for the 189 are now going for the 190 and 489. So they will be overwhelmed. South Australia doubled the wait time to 15 - 20 weeks. I am 6 weeks in and applied to SA fo state sponsorship.

8 hours ago, Barrywelsh said:

Ok thanks for the advice, I’ll keep you posted when I hear anything. My MA suggested that there was a back log in applications from before June. It’s just the uncertainty and trying to plan that’s frustrating.

Where are you thinking of moving to?

Looking at moving to the Sunshine Coast where there will hopefully be some work opportunities. Where are you looking at?

Yeah the uncertainty is a nightmare, I've tried planning as much as possible but reading on lots of forums and groups about the different timelines and nothing adds up... some people getting grants reasonably quick and some waiting a lot longer! 

Can't seem to make any sense or reason of it.

Still it'll be worth it all in the long run 

3 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Ah I see. Well since they have put the minimum points up to 65 many people who previously went for the 189 are now going for the 190 and 489. So they will be overwhelmed. South Australia doubled the wait time to 15 - 20 weeks. I am 6 weeks in and applied to SA fo state sponsorship.

I agree with JetBlast.... think things got a little crazy when they bumped up the minimum points for the 189 and everyone jumped ship to the 190 and 489 for the extra points! 

JetBlast is that the wait time for state nomination now?

I agree with JetBlast.... think things got a little crazy when they bumped up the minimum points for the 189 and everyone jumped ship to the 190 and 489 for the extra points! 
JetBlast is that the wait time for state nomination now?
That is the wait time for South Australia state nomination applications.