Which Visa? Panicking!

phil1990

On 22/08/2018 at 04:12, MaggieMay24 said:

Too many posts to quote them all, but some additional input for what it's worth...

• Yes Raul is a registered migration agent and has a long history of posting valuable input to the forum so you'd be in good hands
  • There may be several options (and Raul or any other migration agent is the best source of strategy advice) but WHV to 820/801 application may be the best option since it gives you time here on a visa with work rights to build up cohabiting evidence.  You can register your relationship in NSW to waive the 12-month requirement in case your pre-move evidence is weak
  • I *think* the WHV only kicks in when you land so even if it is approved now and you don't travel until later, you still have 12 months of valid visa when you arrive.  You can only work for any employer for 6 months so that may limit some job prospects.  You can apply to have the 6-month stipulation waived but whether that's approved will depend on several things (having a permanent visa application lodged may help)
  • Your partner will need to update her relationship status with Centrelink.  There's something (I think it's form 24 or something like that) she can request to declare that she's still in financial hardship and it may mean her benefits continue at the same level.  But if she doesn't update her relationship status, Immigration can and do cross-check other government departments.  She can't say she's single with Centrelink but in a relationship with Immigration.
  • There's no income test for sponsoring partner visas.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I definitely need to look into the 6-month rule on the WHV, I did do a bit of my own research into that and the apply for a waiver, I think it looked quite difficult but hopefully if one of my partner's friends can get me the job that they suggested they would be able to and I make a good enough impression they know the ins-and-outs of my situation and would do their best to help. Also, if I'm upfront with some of the Retail companies that I talk to they would hopefully be willing to make the effort to keep hold of me by doing that favour as I'll be vastly over-qualified experience-wise for the sort of roles that I'll have to be applying for, and it would be a good investment for them to buy my loyalty in that way as when I have PR or at least more work rights than a WHV I'll be very valuable to them.

Yeah, regardless of how we do it, the first day I land I'll be getting my tax code or whatever it is and the moment I spend a day actually living with her and not just on holiday we will contact Centrelink and fill out the relevant forms, and sort out all the bank account stuff. It's definitely worth trying for the financial hardship form especially at first before I get work lined up and possibly if I go the route of 3months of regional work when I first get there to try then. Can't lose anything at least, the worst they can do is say no and lose her benefits anyway like she will be doing!

Yeah that's good news with regards to the income requirement for sponsoring a partner visa, was definitely a concern at first!

On 21/08/2018 at 22:45, Raul Senise said:

You are welcome.

Yes, I am a Registered Migration Agent.

Feel free to contact me if you require assistance.

Thanks for your help, will definitely get in touch. I see your offices are located in Sydney so will get in touch in September/October/November when I'm over there to discuss this further!