143 Visa Application Help

Garvey

Hi everyone. Applied for 143 visa on 30 June 2015. All documents submitted, police certainly is April 2018, Medicaid in May 2018 and AoS confirmation sent through on 7 August 2018. Our current 457 visa expires at the end of August so in a bit of a state as to what we do. A visitor visa seems to be the only option but at a cost as we need to have an income. We have migration lawyers who I must say are being very unhelpful (dare I say useless). Any updates on visa grants or suggestions 're forward planning?

If you have lodged a valid visa application onshore then a bridging visa will have been granted and should kick in when your current visa ends. The bridging visa usually has the same conditions as the current visa.  You need to ask your agent about a bridging visa and check the conditions carefully.

if you have an agent what have they actually said?

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

If you have lodged a valid visa application onshore then a bridging visa will have been granted and should kick in when your current visa ends. The bridging visa usually has the same conditions as the current visa.  You need to ask your agent about a bridging visa and check the conditions carefully.

if you have an agent what have they  said?

Our 143 is an off shore visa which doesn't qualify for bridging visa apparently. Our lawyers words were that although they empathise with our situation, make sure we leave Australia by the time our 457 expires!. We have been with them since the start of our application, over three years, so thought they could be more helpful. Perhaps we shouldn't have paid up front!

I see.  I don't think your agents are to blame TBH, when you lodged the 143 it wasn't taking over three years to process them!  Unless you can renew your 457 then you may need to leave Australia.  

A long term visit visa may get you back but as you say will have no working rights.

Visa processing has blown out significantly in the last year.  Although if you have reached the AOS stage it shouldn't be long now. You are at the hands of the Immigration department, your agents can't really do anything about that.

12 hours ago, Garvey said:

Our 143 is an off shore visa which doesn't qualify for bridging visa apparently. Our lawyers words were that although they empathise with our situation, make sure we leave Australia by the time our 457 expires!. We have been with them since the start of our application, over three years, so thought they could be more helpful. Perhaps we shouldn't have paid up front!

How could they be more helpful? They don't make the rules, they're just advising you of what you have to do to adhere to the rules.  Sure you don't like it and it's very inconvenient but it's not them being unhelpful. You even state they empathise.  So if you didn't pay up front do you think they could wave a magic wand and let you stay? There's a difference between being unhelpful and not telling you what you want to hear. It's a pain for many of us how long these visas are taking but we cannot change that. If we want the visa we comply with the rules. I don't know the whole story of course, on this forum we can only reply on the information you have given. 

14 hours ago, Garvey said:

Hi everyone. Applied for 143 visa on 30 June 2015. All documents submitted, police certainly is April 2018, Medicaid in May 2018 and AoS confirmation sent through on 7 August 2018. Our current 457 visa expires at the end of August so in a bit of a state as to what we do. A visitor visa seems to be the only option but at a cost as we need to have an income. We have migration lawyers who I must say are being very unhelpful (dare I say useless). Any updates on visa grants or suggestions 're forward planning?

To suggest a professional is 'useless' is quiet strong. Can you give some examples of what they have done to make you come to that conclusion. 

Can I please apologise for my previous comments regarding our immigration lawyers, frustration is really kicking in! 

Our Aos confirmation letter was submitted to immigration on 7th August and still no word. Anyone have any idea how long it takes from this time as we are now looking to applying for visitor visa to tide us over.

Again accept my apologies for previous comments

As with many visa subclasses, the processing times for the 143 visa has blown out considerably in recent times.

The processing time for this visa used to be quite stable, but in the last few years has gone from 18 to 24 to 36 to the current published processing time of 41 to 44 months.

As such, it is becoming increasingly problemetic to predict how long the visa will take.

Your frustration is understandable as it seems that the Government continues to change the goal posts after you have paid your lodgement fee.

As Agents, we are constrained by the limitations of the Regulations and the good ones will tell you the situation honestly, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Many times in such frustrating circumstances, applicants will fall victim to the fraudsters who will tell them what they want to hear, but ultimately only make their money disappear, not their problems.

Good luck, I hope your situation resolves itself soon..

• Like 5