Partner visa 820 granted.

Chelspalms

Hey! 

I used this site a lot throughout my application and the waiting game and always see people asking for info so thought I’d let people know of my experience and waiting time.

I am a British citizen, had lived with my British citizen/Australian permanent resident partner for 1 year and 10 months when I applied and I applied onshore. I uploaded all relevant documents but did not send off police checks or arrange medical until asked to.

October 11th 2017 - application submitted. Bridging visa A granted and medical examination requested immediately after. 

October 12th 2017 - submitted request for Bridging visa B to leave for a trip back to the UK.

October 16th 2017 - Bridging visa B granted allowing me to leave the country from this date until the 3rd December 2017 (just under 7 weeks) until I had to be back in Australia.

Approx early December  2017 - attended medical and within a few days my immi account was updated as medical successful. (I could of got a medical sooner but took my trip back home).

19th February 2018 - mine and my partners, Australian and UK police checks requested within 28 days.

20th March 2018 - uploaded all 4 police checks. (My partners UK police check hadn’t arrived by the 28 days, which was due the 19th March so I emailed them to let them know and they accepted and gave me additional time. It actually arrived the next day, 20th March and was uploaded with the rest).

23rd April 2018 - requested information. My UK police check stated ‘no live trace’ meaning I had a silly little reprimand when I was 13 years old but had been removed. So they asked for a detailed police check which detailed the event. 

2nd June 2018 - uploaded detailed police check. This again didn’t arrive within the 28 days and was again given extra time. Please note, for each police check and the detailed check, we uploaded the receipt for each under ‘evidence to obtain’ so they knew we were waiting on them. 

3rd August 2018 - partner visa 820 temp granted!! 

Eligible to apply for 801 in October 2019.

Its a nerve wracking wait but it’s soooo worth it in the end, now I can finally leave the country me and my partner are looking forward to a well deserved holiday!! 

And I hope all your visas are granted soon!! 

Congrats! This is great news and thanks for sharing. I am applying for de facto visa onshore also. I will be arriving on a tourist visa and then submitting my application when it expires. Did you do this or were you already on a different visa?

i am slightly concerned about what to say at the border when asked why I have a one way ticket...

15 minutes ago, Tom 84 said:

Congrats! This is great news and thanks for sharing. I am applying for de facto visa onshore also. I will be arriving on a tourist visa and then submitting my application when it expires. Did you do this or were you already on a different visa?

i am slightly concerned about what to say at the border when asked why I have a one way ticket...

Why not apply off shore then you won’t  have to worry about being turned around at the border for not being a bone fide tourist. So much easier.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

Hi Tom,

I was coming to the end of my second working holiday visa when I applied.

If immigration suspect you are planning to apply for another visa there is a very high chance you’ll be denied entry!

Applying offshore may be easier and a quicker option for you, I believe offshore are being processed a lot quicker than onshore at the moment.

• 2 months later...
On 03/08/2018 at 20:27, Chelspalms said:

Hey! 

I used this site a lot throughout my application and the waiting game and always see people asking for info so thought I’d let people know of my experience and waiting time.

I am a British citizen, had lived with my British citizen/Australian permanent resident partner for 1 year and 10 months when I applied and I applied onshore. I uploaded all relevant documents but did not send off police checks or arrange medical until asked to.

October 11th 2017 - application submitted. Bridging visa A granted and medical examination requested immediately after. 

October 12th 2017 - submitted request for Bridging visa B to leave for a trip back to the UK.

October 16th 2017 - Bridging visa B granted allowing me to leave the country from this date until the 3rd December 2017 (just under 7 weeks) until I had to be back in Australia.

Approx early December  2017 - attended medical and within a few days my immi account was updated as medical successful. (I could of got a medical sooner but took my trip back home).

19th February 2018 - mine and my partners, Australian and UK police checks requested within 28 days.

20th March 2018 - uploaded all 4 police checks. (My partners UK police check hadn’t arrived by the 28 days, which was due the 19th March so I emailed them to let them know and they accepted and gave me additional time. It actually arrived the next day, 20th March and was uploaded with the rest).

23rd April 2018 - requested information. My UK police check stated ‘no live trace’ meaning I had a silly little reprimand when I was 13 years old but had been removed. So they asked for a detailed police check which detailed the event. 

2nd June 2018 - uploaded detailed police check. This again didn’t arrive within the 28 days and was again given extra time. Please note, for each police check and the detailed check, we uploaded the receipt for each under ‘evidence to obtain’ so they knew we were waiting on them. 

3rd August 2018 - partner visa 820 temp granted!! 

Eligible to apply for 801 in October 2019.

Its a nerve wracking wait but it’s soooo worth it in the end, now I can finally leave the country me and my partner are looking forward to a well deserved holiday!! 

And I hope all your visas are granted soon!! 

Congrats! I've literally just applied for my 820 from a pmv 300 also British citizen very impressed with your timeline, so keeping fingers crossed for mine and others who are waiting.