Becoming a Nurse in Oz- Help!!

KatBatt

Hi everyone,

I've just started the process of shifting through all the information in relation to applying to become a nurse in Oz. I'm quite confused at the moment and wondered if anyone has completed (or is in the process of completing) this and has some advice.

From what I understand firstly I need to provide all relevant documents to AHPRA, then once this is completed and registration is given, I can complete my expression of interest for the skilled visa before officially applying. Does this sound about right? Or do I need to apply through ANMAC as well? Also, if registration is granted the visa can take up to a year to be finalised- will my registration still be valid by this point?

Its all a bit confusing at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks ?

ANMAC are the body that assesses skills in order for you to apply for a visa.  AHPRA is the body which assesses and grants registration (like NMC). 

If you get registration first, you can apply to ANMAC for a modified skills assessment - but you still need the assessment.  As Verystormy says, if you get your registration in principle letter from AHPRA you have to present to an office in person to complete the registration (so if going down this route - factor in a holiday to Aus to complete the registration).

Some people apply for both simultaneously.  You can't submit an EOI until you have your positive skills assessment.

You are required to renew your AHPRA registration annually - everyone has to renew by the end of May (even if registration is granted in a different month).

Thank you both for your responses ?  I’m going to get started with ANMAC (discovered I need to complete the pte in order to get more points for my visa anyway). Seems it’s going to be a long and interesting journey! 

Was reading on another post about the points for the visa/ i should end up with 65 (if all goes well with the pte)- however it seems that those with this amount aren’t being invited to apply for the visa? Have I just been unlucky with the information I’ve come across or is this a risky process? 

Thanks again for your information

51 minutes ago, KatBatt said:

Thank you both for your responses ?  I’m going to get started with ANMAC (discovered I need to complete the pte in order to get more points for my visa anyway). Seems it’s going to be a long and interesting journey! 

Was reading on another post about the points for the visa/ i should end up with 65 (if all goes well with the pte)- however it seems that those with this amount aren’t being invited to apply for the visa? Have I just been unlucky with the information I’ve come across or is this a risky process? 

Thanks again for your information

I think currently from the info posted on the forum, 65 points unfortunately isn't attracting quick invites.

However, if you come from an English speaking country that is recognized by Australia (USA, Ireland, Canada, UK, etc) you do not have to do the English exam for your skills assessment and only have to do it in order to get points for the visa. For the visa you can take the general format of the English exam just to gain points and have a much higher chance of getting invited faster if you score the maximum amount of points. In order to verify this your nursing education will have needed to be completed in English. 

Even if you only speak English- the academic version of the exams are very hard. During the TOEFL people were crying, which was a bit distracting. Try to take the general version if at all possible. The IELTS general was very easy compared to the TOEFL academic. 

10 hours ago, lhumphreys said:

However, if you come from an English speaking country that is recognized by Australia (USA, Ireland, Canada, UK, etc) you do not have to do the English exam for your skills assessment and only have to do it in order to get points for the visa. For the visa you can take the general format of the English exam just to gain points and have a much higher chance of getting invited faster if you score the maximum amount of points. In order to verify this your nursing education will have needed to be completed in English. 

Even if you only speak English- the academic version of the exams are very hard. During the TOEFL people were crying, which was a bit distracting. Try to take the general version if at all possible. The IELTS general was very easy compared to the TOEFL academic. 

Hi Ian, I am from England but was planning on doing the pte academic test in order to boost my points further. How did you get on with the TOEFL what with people crying around you?! Sounds awful! I definitely need the academic version in order to get as many points as possible.

Thanks for your response 

On 04/08/2018 at 11:24, VERYSTORMY said:

Be aware as well, that part of the skills assessment requires an English test, I am not sure how it is with pte, but with ILETS it has to be the academic version, which is a higher standard that the general used for points

Thank you stormy, I was planning on doing the pte academic which is meant to be accepted also. Think I will have to prepare well prior though, if I’m going to achieve the points I need!