SAF levy

Hi guys!

Any of you who are looking for sponsorship got turned away by employer because of this new change, that employer need to pay Skilling Australians Fund levy on top of the nomination fee?

My employer was happy to nominate me last year but when I followed it up this year, they're not sure anymore as they will need to pay more than usual. 

17 hours ago, mlawrence said:

Hi guys!

Any of you who are looking for sponsorship got turned away by employer because of this new change, that employer need to pay Skilling Australians Fund levy on top of the nomination fee?

My employer was happy to nominate me last year but when I followed it up this year, they're not sure anymore as they will need to pay more than usual. 

The SAF Levy has not been implemented yet, so if they lodge before implementation there are no extra costs.

Thanks Raul,  I will be 2yrs with  my employer this November so planning to get it started this year but my employer was not sure to nominate me because of the new change, they don't want to pay that much compared to what they're paying before. Any dates for this SAF levy will get implemented?

Hi Claire, is your employer aware of this new change in nominating an employer? As to my employer I'm working at The Alfred Hospital which is a big organization but still they're thinking of the nomination will cost them.

Expected between 1 July 2018 and 30 September 2018.

The Government really want this to happen as soon as possible. 

Also, current figures for PR nomination are $5000 for turnover over 10 Million and $3000 less than 10 Million.. Its not huge amounts of cash for a skilled employee but profits are profits.. 

14 hours ago, claire27 said:

Hi Raul, my employer is planning to nominate me as a motor mechanic but we have no idea about the whole process, particularly the training benchmark. any advise would be greatly appreciated!

If they are nominating you for a temporary visa (482) then currently there are no training benchmarks. If nominating you for PR (186) then they will need to meet training benchmarks A or B.

If going it alone, then the first step is to go to the Immigration website and try and learn as much as you can.

If using professional help, make sure you obtain advice from a Registered Migration Agent only.

If they have never done it before, I would strongly suggest professional advice.

9 hours ago, mlawrence said:

Thanks Raul,  I will be 2yrs with  my employer this November so planning to get it started this year but my employer was not sure to nominate me because of the new change, they don't want to pay that much compared to what they're paying before. Any dates for this SAF levy will get implemented?

Hi Claire, is your employer aware of this new change in nominating an employer? As to my employer I'm working at The Alfred Hospital which is a big organization but still they're thinking of the nomination will cost them.

The latest news about the SAF levy from the Government, which came out yesterday stated that it "is expected to come into effect this quarter"

This is consistent with previous advice from the Government, but no exact date yet.

1 hour ago, mlawrence said:

Thanks for the time to reply. I hold NZ passport and came here on Dec 2016 so 189 is out of the option. Will it make any difference to the nomination fee if I have NZ passport?

Why is 189 not an option?

Motor Mechanic is on the 189 List, irrespective of country of passport.

• 1 month later...