English bulldog

Hi I’m trying to get a idea of how much in total it will be to ship our 3 year old English bulldog over from the uk, will probably be flying out of Manchester, so from start to finish- price to include vets, flight, quarantine etc, any answers will be greatly appreciated,

Also has anyone brought a English bulldog over, ? If so how did it manage and how does it manage in the heat? Ours is pretty fit and healthy so been ok with our summer this year, we obviously don’t walk midday, we’ll normally go first thing before it’s to warm.

Many thanks

We own a British Bulldog but we bought him here. He was only a year old when we got him ,we bought him off a family who were returning to the UK and had been advised not to fly him, even though he is fit and healthy. Id speak with Bib at PetAir and seek his advice.

As for how they manage in the heat, on the very hot days he doesn't move far from a cold floor, but heh he is a bulldog ,he hardly moves most days,lol, i am sure he sleeps 20 hours a day like a koala. He has a kids paddling pool to go and stand in if he gets too hot and i make him doggy ice blocks, you just have to limit their activity if they are an active dog. You can buy cooling mats and jackets but we never have. A few times we have put him in the pool but he just sinks or his floppy cheeks fill up with water,lol, so he now just stands on the step cooling his legs and tummy.

Cal x

22 hours ago, Move2oz said:

We brought our Shar Pei over another Bracheleptic breed - he could not have flown between May and I think August because of the heat on the ground ie airport in Dubai We flew our boy with Golden Arrow and they were great Bob at Petair has a really good reputation too Our boy has settled well just stays indoors when its hot Costs were about 2300 gbp for a short stay in GA kennels in the UK then the flight to Melbourne $1700 for quarantine and $260 to fly him to Adelaide Plus cost of rabies and other injections etc 

Hi I’m trying to get a idea of how much in total it will be to ship our 3 year old English bulldog over from the uk, will probably be flying out of Manchester, so from start to finish- price to include vets, flight, quarantine etc, any answers will be greatly appreciated,

Also has anyone brought a English bulldog over, ? If so how did it manage and how does it manage in the heat? Ours is pretty fit and healthy so been ok with our summer this year, we obviously don’t walk midday, we’ll normally go first thing before it’s to warm.

Many thanks

Hi Move2Oz,

Apologies for the late reply. Pat has a done a very good job of giving ballpark figures. Also, flying in the cooler times of the year is sensible although we have to take into consideration over that distance it's always hot somewhere!

Please do bear in mind Brachycephalic dogs (snub-nosed) do pose a higher risk when flying due to the potential issues of breathing compared to long-snouted animals. We do everything we can to make sure they are comfortable - typically they'll also fly in bigger travel kennels to allow more airflow. But it is something to bear in mind and consider. 

Please do look us up and get in touch for a quote - every journey is different and we can provide you with an accurate cost just for you and discuss how well he'll travel.

Best,

• 9 months later...

Would it be possible to have an update on this? Did you manage to fly your bulldog no problem? 

I am in the very early stages of trying to get this organised for my girl. I am in Perth and she is in Scotland with family at the moment. 

Desperate to have her over here but extremely nervous and don’t know where to start. 

Hi

Flying all pets is a risk of about 1 in 10000. Flying a snub nosed dog is about 1 in 100. Most airlines will not take these pets as they dont want the adverse publicity if anything bad happens, but we can still fly them to Australia from Heathrow with Qantas. We may be able to fly them from Scotland with Emirates at certain times of the year.

Most pet shippers and the airlines will ask you to sign an extra disclaimer as well. 

Pet shippers in UK can certainly fly bulldogs from UK to Australia, but owners must know the risks. The main thing we can do to help them is to fly them in a crate which is "too big" so the ventilation is good and the simplest thing owners can do is to make sure they are lean when they fly as this can help them lots. Also, if your pet shipper is signing off the final paperwork, then the vets at that point reserve the right not to pass them fit to fly if they are unduly worried about their breathing.

I make this sound really bad, i am sorry for doing that. The most likely out come by a long way is that your dog will be safe and sound, but there is an increased risk compared to other dogs.

If you wanted to know any more then give our team a call and we can certainly help you.

• Like 2