187 Visa - Leaving Employer Early

Hi

I am currently about 18 months into my 2 year period I am required to work for my sponsoring employer on a 187 visa and was wondering about the possibility of leaving the position earlier than this time due to unforeseen circumstances. The 2 year period will be up on 12 Jan 2019.

I have recently had my first child and as a result am on maternity leave. I am aware that my maternity leave period does count towards the 2 year period and I will not be due back to work until after this period has been completed. We are currently living off the one income of my partner (as well as my government maternity pay until October this year), which is sporadic at the moment as work is extremely quiet in the area.

Basically, I am interested to know if anybody else has been in a similar situation, and if so, would we have a leg to stand on if we moved away from the area so that my partner can find alternative work. If investigated, could we argue that we did not have financial security and as a result had to go elsewhere?

Thanks in advance :)

Two things to consider and you may want to seek advice on both.

Your employment contract, especially if there were any relocation expenses involved. 

The immigration/visa issues.  You have PR and have worked for over 12 months so unlikely your visa will be cancelled.  It may depend on where you move for work though.  Staying in a regional area would at least go with the spirit of the visa.  

• Like 1