Where to live

Jo AP

Hi, my partner and I are planning on moving to Melbourne next September (2019) - we're two females with two small boys, will be 8 and 4 . My partner will be working in the city and we've been looking at Wyndham Vale, Werribee, Geelong..... any advice? Our eldest has emotional needs and so the right school is vital for his support. We thought to rent initially and find our feet. I have a really good community here of school mum friends, playgroup and church so would like to rebuild that over there..before I go crazy! 

Thanks

Jo

Hi, I would say Geelong out of those choices. It is a large town rather than an outer suburb. I moved there when my son was 11 and don’t regret it. It has a great community if you “get out there” . Schools wise can’t say but if you contact the schools I found them all informative and open to you visiting and then you can get a feel for them. Others have said special needs are not as well catered for in Australia but I have no personal experience with that to help you. 

Regular trains run to Melbourne, take about an hour, bit less, to Flinders Street or Southern Cross. 

I moved away from there about 5 years ago so obviously it might have changed, but not that much I think! 

Safe bayside beaches, surf beaches, shopping, sports clubs, cafes etc all within reach. Research the suburbs, there are some crappier ones. Realestate.com.au for rentals or buying houses will help with your budget.

I enjoyed our time there immensely.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

We looked at Geelong and Mornington and chose Mornington due to the proximity to more wineries (for specific work that one of us does). Would have lived in Geelong too, train line handy to City etc. If you need any info on the South Eastern side, Mornington (or South Frankston / Mount Martha) happy to share, were here 7 months now, all good.

ATN

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Im living in Cheltenham which is South East of Melbourne, with a primary school at the end of the road (3 min walk) and buses and trains not too far away.  City is Approx 40-50 mins on train but there will be express trains starting again in 2019 I believe. I’m only 5-10min drive to the beach. Our property has a gate into the adjacent dog park (which is a lovely community in itself) and my home is at the end of a cul -de-sac/Court and kids play in the street. It’s an idyllic lifestyle. Shopping centres are all 5 min drive away.

I’ve been living here for 3 years and LOVE it like you wouldn’t believe, but I’m missing my family back in uk and want a year back there... to spend time with them and get to know my nephews better and give my son a year in an English school.

Im hoping I can “swap homes” with someone in the uk for a year....ideally in Sussex where my family is.

PS- the Eastern suburbs are better than the West! Better schools, more to do, better everything 🙂

• Like 1

Hi, my partner and I are planning on moving to Melbourne next September (2019) - we're two females with two small boys, will be 8 and 4 . My partner will be working in the city and we've been looking at Wyndham Vale, Werribee, Geelong..... any advice? Our eldest has emotional needs and so the right school is vital for his support. We thought to rent initially and find our feet. I have a really good community here of school mum friends, playgroup and church so would like to rebuild that over there..before I go crazy! 
Thanks
Jo

Have you looked at Williamstown? We used to live there and it’s lovely. There’s a real UK sort of vibe with a big selection of cafes, restaurants & pubs filled with friendly locals. Heaps of nice parks and gorgeous walkways around the waterfront with views of the city skyline. You can catch the ferry across to St Kilda or there are 3 train stops to the city all taking under 1/2 an hour. And did I mention they have a beach?? It’s a real family friendly place with community spirit! It’s not the cheapest of suburbs but there’s a reason for that. If it wasn’t for the famous Melbourne winters, we’d still be living there now.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Mornington Peninsula is definitely are great option. The new Moridalloc Freeway and extension of the Frankston line to the area will also improve the commute. The Mornington Peninsula is renowned for its beaches, scenery and best wineries. Mornington and Mt Eliza also boast some of the best schools in the state and the area also has high proportion of poms already living down there. The area has the highest concentration of poms in Melbourne at 12% of the total population.  

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.57.54 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 2.07.06 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.24.52 pm.png

Edited by bayside