Older Person Tax Rebate - Parent Visa 143

Jan.tt

We lodged our Parent Visa 143 application two years ago.   We have sons with citizenship and PR in Australia.  We are 70 and 68.  We have visited the last two years on a 600 Visitor Visa staying for 5 months each time.

Question:  If we are fortunate enough to get PR, will we automatically get the Older Person Tax Allowance on our UK Teacher and State pensions.  Is it a universal rebate.  If not, how is it calculated

Thanks Jan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jan.tt said:

We lodged our Parent Visa 143 application two years ago.   We have sons with citizenship and PR in Australia.  We are 70 and 68.  We have visited the last two years on a 600 Visitor Visa staying for 5 months each time.

Question:  If we are fortunate enough to get PR, will we automatically get the Older Person Tax Allowance on our UK Teacher and State pensions.  Is it a universal rebate.  If not, how is it calculated

Thanks Jan

Can I ask why you went for a 143 visa and not the 864?

Also, if you post this question on the main parent visa thread you should get more response, plus lots of other relevant info.

Am I correct that the 864 is the one applied for while in Australia?  We are still living in the UK and need will need time to organise our move to Australia, so where advised by a Visa company here to go for the 143.  Was that advice correct?

I will also post on the main parent thread.

Thanks Jan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jan.tt said:

Am I correct that the 864 is the one applied for while in Australia?  We are still living in the UK and need will need time to organise our move to Australia, so where advised by a Visa company here to go for the 143.  Was that advice correct?

I will also post on the main parent thread.

Thanks Jan

Yes, that's correct, although you can apply then return to the uk, but you do need to be back in Australia when the 864 visa is granted. It's just the 864 is quicker normally to process and you get to stay in Australia, but I just wondered if there was some other advantage (sorry to be so nosy). Good luck with everything.

There isn't an older person tax allowance in Australia (that's a UK thing). There is something called SAPTO  - the Seniors And Pensioners Tax Offset. To receive SAPTO you need to either be in receipt of an Australian Government Pension or Allowance or eligible for the Australian Government Age Pension. This does apply to most Australians but I believe that if you come over on a Parent visa you have a long qualifying period (perhaps 10 years) before you are eligible for any Australian Government Pension or benefits (but you'd know more about that than I do) meaning you would also not be eligible for SAPTO.  There are also income limits that affect eligibility to SAPTO.

• Like 1