David Attenborough's Tasmania

Toots

Watched it on catch up last night. 

Very, very impressed, I loved it. He did lay on the whole Jack Jumper thing a bit thick though! Hahaha. 

He was definitely right about the east/west weather divide too. Something I've noticed quite significantly since moving to the north west coast. ? 

56 minutes ago, annagilda said:

Watched it on catch up last night. 

Very, very impressed, I loved it. He did lay on the whole Jack Jumper thing a bit thick though! Hahaha. 

He was definitely right about the east/ weather divide too. Something I've noticed quite significantly since moving to the north west coast. ? 

I think here on the north west coast we kind of get the best of what's going weather-wise.  Not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter but yes, the difference between the east and west coast is significant.

I've not come across any Jack Jumpers yet.  Didn't realise they could kill you   ...............................  well that's according to David A.  I will certainly aim to avoid any ant hill looking things though.  ?

13 minutes ago, Toots said:

I think here on the north west coast we kind of get the best of what's going weather-wise.  Not too hot in summer and not too cold in winter but yes, the difference between the east and west coast is significant.

I've not come across any Jack Jumpers yet.  Didn't realise they could kill you   ...............................  well that's according to David A.  I will certainly aim to avoid any ant hill looking things though.  ?

Yeah, it's quite lovely here in the north west. I think the climate suits me well. 

They can kill people, if a person ends up being anaphylactic to the sting. Otherwise, while it does hurt, you'll be fine. (But it's no different to a person being alergic to peanuts.) 

I went kayaking king a few weeks back and I sat on a jack jumper nest by mistake to have my cup of tea. It was a painful experience, but I was fine a few minutes later. 

I absolutely still would avoid them though, if I can because the sting can be very painful. 

1 hour ago, annagilda said:

They can kill people, if a person ends up being anaphylactic to the sting. Otherwise, while it does hurt, you'll be fine. (But it's no different to a person being alergic to peanuts.) 

Yes, that's true.  The Royal Hobart Hospital has a desensitisation program for those who are allergic - also available in Adelaide and Melbourne. 

http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/service_information/services_files/RHH/treatments_and_services/jack_jumper_allergy_program

I disturbed a nest of them once when I was hoeing  bracken fern and was bitten by 2 which ran into my wellies.  Fortunately I'm not allergic to them...but it was very painful.  

Edited by Skani

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...