London to Perth direct dog flight

Debs74

2 hours ago, nexory said:

Hi Amber,

just wondering how your pooch went on that trip? We might have to take our two dogs to the UK next year and I'm turning into a complete wreck just thinking of the trip. One of our dogs is very nervous and does not like being handled by strangers. So a stop-over in Dubai would be super stressful for him. I'm thinking the non-stop option is probably easier on him... but 17 hours in a crate?? OMG...

Hi, my cat travelled via Singapore in the end. He was a bit ropey on arrival and was fast tracked out of animal reception as they were concerned about him. He is diabetic.

He recovered quickly and is absolutely fine now.

Not sure where you are travelling from but wasn’t overly impressed with my shippers tbh. They have a one size fits all approach which didn’t really work for our situation. Private message me if you want to discuss.

On 13/12/2018 at 18:19, Amber Snowball said:

Hi, my cat travelled via Singapore in the end. He was a bit ropey on arrival and was fast tracked out of animal reception as they were concerned about him. He is diabetic.

Not sure where you are travelling from but wasn’t overly impressed with my shippers tbh. They have a one size fits all approach which didn’t really work for our situation. Private message me if you want to discuss.

Thanks Amber, I just tried to PM you but can't. I only get an error message that I'm allowed only 0 messges per day??? Could you try to PM me? Maybe I can only respond to messages... Cheers

27 minutes ago, nexory said:

Thanks Amber, I just tried to PM you but can't. I only get an error message that I'm allowed only 0 messges per day??? Could you try to PM me? Maybe I can only respond to messages... Cheers

I think you need to post 3(?) times then you can message. Maybe respond to me  on here again and it should let you use the messages.

• 3 months later...
On 13/12/2018 at 07:19, Amber Snowball said:

Hi Amber, 

I have a diabetic cat too.. and making plans for him to fly in September/October 2019 from London to Melbourne (via Perth). He is generally fit and healthy while on his insulin but as you can imagine, I am stressed out of my mind about his wellbeing! 

I wanted to ask which pet company you used, which airline and what you did with his feeding/insulin prior to flying? Was your cat allowed food on his flight? 

Hope you can help! Thanks xx

1 hour ago, Nga Vo said:

Hi Amber, 

I have a diabetic cat too.. and making plans for him to fly in September/October 2019 from London to Melbourne (via Perth). He is generally fit and healthy while on his insulin but as you can imagine, I am stressed out of my mind about his wellbeing! 

I wanted to ask which pet company you used, which airline and what you did with his feeding/insulin prior to flying? Was your cat allowed food on his flight? 

I am going to chip in and say in a case like yours I would definitely use Pet Air as they aren't just shippers, they are ran by vets. You can chat with Bob, who is the managing director on the forum. 

1 hour ago, Nga Vo said:

Hi Amber, 

Hi, my cat flew with Singapore Airlines in the end. I took my vets advice and he had food in the morning before flying but no insulin. He was offered some food before being taken for boarding for the flight but no food in the crate for the flight. This meant his glucose level ran higher rather than lower which is safer. Qantas direct to Perth and then onto Melbourne would hopefully be your quickest route without a stopover.

I was flying the other way so used an Australian company which won’t help you. 

@BobPetairUK  is a vet a VS mentions so would be a good choice for planning and executing the move. Quarantine will need to be well informed the Australian end to manage your cat. At Heathrow I went to collect him and because he wouldn’t eat he jumped the queue for clearance and I took him almost straight away and managed his insulin myself, but you won’t be able to do that. My cat is a big ‘ol mummy’s boy so was a bit ropey when I collected him having been separated for 36 hours pretty much  I got him right in a couple of days, back on his insulin and in routine.

Good luck. I wondered if I had done the right thing when I collected him, he looked so stressed but now he is as happy as a lark! So very glad I did.

Flying diabetic pets from UK to Australia with the ten days quarantine is dicey at best. If they are well controlled before they travel then they are likely to go out of control over the flight and quarantine as there is no way of keeping them properly controlled.

If their control is anything less than perfect (and most pets fall into this category) before they fly then there is a high chance they will become ketoacidotic and become very ill indeed. 

I am not saying “don’t fly your diabetic pet” but a lot of thought and acceptance of risks needs to be done before their flight. And the appreciation that there may be a very large extra bill if they need treatment during quarantine.

The best way to prepare is to make contact with the vets who look after the pets in quarantine before they fly, make sure they are as controlled as can be in the months before they fly, keep them at home and bring them to the airport on the day of the flight (so they run less of a risk of getting too low blood sugar by having their injection and not eating) and keeping their treatment as normal as possible before the flight.

This is such a tough situation for all involved, my heart goes out to you. After all the treatment and time, the humans are super bonded to diabetic cats and other options for these pets are limited. I really don’t envy humans making these choices, but we want to help if we can.

I emailed quarantine recently about this and they did not say “no” to diabetic pets but they are not keen and made the sobering remark that “it is quarantine not a veterinary hospital”. In an ideal world, diabetic pets would land and go home or to a veterinary hospital. 

We will help if we can, but we do want to look at the veterinary history and make sure we give diabetic pets the best chances. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 20:46, BobPetairUK said:

Flying diabetic pets from UK to Australia with the ten days quarantine is dicey at best. If they are well controlled before they travel then they are likely to go out of control over the flight and quarantine as there is no way of keeping them properly controlled.

If their control is anything less than perfect (and most pets fall into this category) before they fly then there is a high chance they will become ketoacidotic and become very ill indeed. 

I am not saying “don’t fly your diabetic pet” but a lot of thought and acceptance of risks needs to be done before their flight. And the appreciation that there may be a very large extra bill if they need treatment during quarantine.

The best way to prepare is to make contact with the vets who look after the pets in quarantine before they fly, make sure they are as controlled as can be in the months before they fly, keep them at home and bring them to the airport on the day of the flight (so they run less of a risk of getting too low blood sugar by having their injection and not eating) and keeping their treatment as normal as possible before the flight.

This is such a tough situation for all involved, my heart goes out to you. After all the treatment and time, the humans are super bonded to diabetic cats and other options for these pets are limited. I really don’t envy humans making these choices, but we want to help if we can.

I emailed quarantine recently about this and they did not say “no” to diabetic pets but they are not keen and made the sobering remark that “it is quarantine not a veterinary hospital”. In an ideal world, diabetic pets would land and go home or to a veterinary hospital. 

We will help if we can, but we do want to look at the veterinary history and make sure we give diabetic pets the best chances. 

Yes, with the quarantine it is hard. The day I arrived at Heathrow there was a 6+ hours wait at the ARC. I took his insulin in and said he needs to eat and then give him 2 units. As I was leaving they called me back and cleared him within the hour so I could take him. He wouldn’t eat in the ARC, too stressed and confused. They don’t need the responsibility or risk. He was proper ropey for a couple of days, but I got him stable again within a day or 2, but that is with me monitoring his symptoms at close quarters and titrating his insulin myself (ssshhh don’t tell the vet!). Not possible in a  quarantine facility. 

He is now relaxed and zen!

08FFEEBE-A557-4059-BE22-D2D788FDA393.thumb.jpeg.f8a53af6f1285ec4b3b5dee19dd0b3b1.jpeg