Aged parent visa

sis66

I became 65 years young in February 2018 and have been staying in Melbourne since September 2017 on a 1 year tourist visa.  Both my children live in Australia with one having citizenship.  I would like to apply for permanency as I have been travelling to Australia off and on since 2005 and now I am retired feel the time is right for me to move out here.

I was thinking of applying for the 864 Contributory Aged Parent Visa as I understand there is less of a wait for this visa to be granted.  I would be grateful if anyone who has experience of applying for this visa could give me advice on possible timescales and costs involved.

Thanks.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @sis66 welcome to the forum. It sounds like you will have a wonderful life out here and are currently making the most of family time. I would highly recommend joining this thread as it is full of parents like yourself who have been or are going through the process 

I became 65 years young in February 2018 and have been staying in Melbourne since September 2017 on a 1 year tourist visa.  Both my children live in Australia with one having citizenship.  I would like to apply for permanency as I have been travelling to Australia off and on since 2005 and now I am retired feel the time is right for me to move out here.

I was thinking of applying for the 864 Contributory Aged Parent Visa as I understand there is less of a wait for this visa to be granted.  I would be grateful if anyone who has experience of applying for this visa could give me advice on possible timescales and costs involved.

Thanks.

We applied last year, March, on the understanding the 864 visa would take about a year. Joke!! Since September 2016 the queue has moved only 6 weeks to 27th October 2016. 6 weeks in 20 months. Just going to sit tight, we already live in Oz on a retirement visa which was stopped in 2005. 

I suggest as PQ says you keep an eye on the parent visa forum, and ask any questions there, everyone helps each other on that forum.

Go for it, but be prepared to wait.

3 hours ago, ramot said:

We applied last year, March, on the understanding the 864 visa would take about a year. Joke!! Since September 2016 the queue has moved only 6 weeks to 27th October 2016. 6 weeks in 20 months. Just going to sit tight, we already live in Oz on a retirement visa which was stopped in 2005. 

I suggest as PQ says you keep an eye on the parent visa forum, and ask any questions there, everyone helps each other on that forum.

Go for it, but be prepared to wait.

Thank you for your comments.  I was not expecting such slow timescales.

... and that you must not have a condition 8503 on your visitor visa if you are going to apply for a visa while onshore (ie in Australia).
Best regards.

Hi Alan - how do you if they are going to apply a condition 8503 on a tourist visa? Can you ask at the time of booking a flight?

6 hours ago, Misplaced said:

Hi Alan - how do you if they are going to apply a condition 8503 on a tourist visa? Can you ask at the time of booking a flight?

I would apply for an e651 visa.

Remember the need to be a genuine temporary entrant when seeking a visitor visa.

Best regards.