Aussie/UK Passport.

F.a.m

Hi everyone....

I recently had approval of Australian citizenship, but still waiting to receive a letter of invitation from my local council for my citizenship ceremony.

I will be traveling back to the UK in September for a month, can I still travel on my UK passport or do I need to apply for a Aussie passport and use that passport from now on?

Also if I have both  a UK and Australian passport, can I leave Australia on the Australian passport and then enter the UK on my UK passport and do it the other way round  when returning to Australia.

Any help out there would be great.

Thanks

Fernando.

You’ll usually find that one condition of dual citizenship of some countries is that you need to enter and leave the country using that country’s passport if you’re a citizen.

When not travelling in/out of Aus or UK it’s up to you which passport you use.

I would clarify the requirements before travel though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F.a.m said:

Hi everyone....

I recently had approval of Australian citizenship, but still waiting to receive a letter of invitation from my local council for my citizenship ceremony.

I will be traveling back to the UK in September for a month, can I still travel on my UK passport or do I need to apply for a Aussie passport and use that passport from now on?

Also if I have both  a UK and Australian passport, can I leave Australia on the Australian passport and then enter the UK on my UK passport and do it the other way round  when returning to Australia.

Any help out there would be great.

Thanks

Fernando.

Approval isn't citizenship.  You aren't a citizen and cannot apply for an Australian passport until after your citizenship ceremony. After the citizenship ceremony you become an Australian citizenship and your PR visa automatically terminates. As such you are unable to enter Australia on your old passport as you no longer have a valid visa (airlines will refuse to carry you). You have to obtain an Australian passport to enter Australia after your citizenship ceremony.

As to your second question, yes leaving Australia on your Australian passport and entering the UK on your British passport is the correct procedure for border control - although the airline will want to see the other passport in each case as what they'll need evidence you can enter the country you are flying to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F.a.m said:

You're not a citizen until you've done the ceremony. Once you are a citizen then you must leave/enter Australia on your Australian passport.

1 hour ago, F.a.m said:

Yes you can. You don't want to be standing in the non-EU queue at LHR!

• Thanks 1