2 Year residency clause of 190 Visa from ACT, Australia

Sid2523

Has anyone got out of the 2 year residency clause on state sponsorship from ACT? I am asking this, as I have been in ACT for 4 months now. I have not been able to secure a job here. (I am an architect but not registered in Australia, but worked previously in India, Singapore and Dubai). And due to this not been able to rent a residential property. Me and my family (me, wife,  a 4 year old and a baby on the way), are staying in a hotel all this time. This has really taken a toll on my savings. Recently the company I used to work for in Dubai has offered me a job in their Sydney office. I am really desperate and want to take up that offer. Please advise.

They do reckon that it could take 6 months to find work which is why they expect you to have savings to cover that when you apply.  At the moment the obligation is only moral but there are noises to ensure that people given visas for residence in one place actually stay there so down the track there is no way of knowing whether this might impact citizenship or anything. However, chances are they will think you’ve given it a good go.  

Its about time they sharpened up the skills list though to actually reflect the jobs availability! Don’t know why they give visas if there are no jobs though with all the ACT construction at the moment I can see why architects might have been expected to be in demand.  Perhaps registration in Aus might be something you need to get.

Edited by Quoll