Tax file number?

SUPERSTARDJ01

@SUPERSTARDJ01

You can apply online through this website https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Apply-for-a-TFN/. You need to be onshore and have an Australian address to be able to apply. They will mail your TFN after approximately 28 days. This is based on my experience when I applied 4 years ago. You can refer to the website if there are any changes.

As above. Don’t worry about it. Once here it’ll be something you can sort and it doesn’t take long to organise. 

Hi. I’m moving over on spousal visa in July. My husband will be starting work on 1st August. Will they provide a temporary tax file number so I can work as soon as I get something or do I have to wait until the tax file number comes through?

Thanks!

On 02/05/2018 at 09:26, themaccas said:

Yes you definitely have to be onshore. You can do it online the day you arrive.

Actually - no you don't have to be onshore, but you need to have a good reason for wanting a TFN in advance of arriving, eg so you can make contributions to superannuation.

Such TFN applications must be made on the relevant paper form, and are to be submitted with duly certified documents.

If you are what I might call a "routine arrival" in Australia you would wait until you are in Australia, when you can apply for your TFN online.

Best regards.