Sponsorship + de facto ?

SQSLW

My boyfriend and I are both mid twenties and from the UK. We have just applied for our 417 visa but get the feeling we may want to stay in Aus longer than a year.

Like many people we are not the biggest fans of the farm work but even if we were we’ve had an extensive look and it seems pretty hard to come by. 

Therefore, my question is, is it possible to be sponsored in construction (my boyfriend’s occupation) and if so would he be able to keep me here with him (de facto)? 

I am a teacher at home, an occupation which is also on the skilled jobs list but it’s unlikely that I will teach in Aus as all my quals, certificates and registrations have to be Australian which is a lengthy process starting from scratch. 

My second question is: would I be able to gain sponsorship in any other job? Or can you only be sponsored if your job is on the skilled list? 

Ay any additional information about sponsorship etc. Would be really appreciated. We just want the opportunity to extend our time in Aus but at the moment we’re unsure how! 

Thanks, 

Sarah and Josh 

There are other things than 'farm work' to go towards your 2nd year. The regional work list is on the Gov website somewhere iirc.

No clue if anything in construction is on the skills list at present. Keep in mind if it is, it may not be in a years time. The lists are online and freely available to check.

AFAIK you can only be sponsored if your skill/profession is on the list and you meet the requirements for it (ie qualifications, training etc all met). 

If you just want to extend your time in Aus to test the waters, your second year WHV is your best and cheapest bet. Admittedly you will have limits to the type of work and for how long you can secure it but if you want to travel and experience Australia with a view to perhaps returning to live longer term in an area you love, a WHV offers a great deal I think.

Re teaching, it may be on the list (primary or HS) but doesn't mean its easy to get work in many of the more populated areas. Lots of newly qualified (and therefore cheaper to employ) teachers abound here. And the cities and towns nearby those are places with lots of people seeking work. You could be relying on relief work and short term contracts depending on area and teachers seeking work. HS maths and science are in demand. Primary is probably well over subscribed unless in regional or more remote areas. 

When you say he works in construction, that is a massive area. What is his actual occupation and what qualifications does he have? 

It isn't necessary for your qualifications to be Australian. But, they would need to meet the Australian requirements which generally would mean four years of university education.