Funds requirement for 189

8 hours ago, Meltingpot_Pete said:

Thanks everyone. Some very informative comments there. I'm a little stressed now. Assuming a finance manager will earn around $130k-$150k in Sydney I won't even be left with $7-8k per month after taxes and superannuation. Perhaps this can be mitigated by living in the suburbs but seems like in pure financial terms, I'll be significantly worse off than in the UK.

Looks like the missus will have to start working again.

I lived in Sydney for 30 years and I knew very few wives who could afford to stay at home.  Very few.  And that was before housing prices rocketed out of sight.    Is there a compelling reason you want to move to Sydney?   If not, I'd rethink.   It is a beautiful place to look at, but not an easy place to live these days.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 21/04/2018 at 23:12, Marisawright said:

I lived in Sydney for 30 years and I knew very few wives who could afford to stay at home.  Very few.  And that was before housing prices rocketed out of sight.    Is there a compelling reason you want to move to Sydney?   If not, I'd rethink.   It is a beautiful place to look at, but not an easy place to live these days.

Apologies for the radio silence. Been made redundant and the timing couldn't have been shittier. Anyway, I do OK in London, one of the main reasons for moving to Aus is to start a family there and the weather is a big big factor. I wouldn't want my kids stuck indoors half the year. I've been looking at some finance managerial roles and even the simplest ones need a CPA or CA. Those are big demands and if that's the general case then I'll have to rethink this whole thing. The other place I have on my mind is Perth. Although it's far away from other cities, I prefer the laid-back culture.

On 21/04/2018 at 07:37, Meltingpot_Pete said:

That's reassuring. I'm still very much in the initial stages but the financial planning needs to begin a lot before that I guess unless one chooses to activate their visa a lot later. 

I've been told to budget AUD 3k for a couple for Sydney. Any idea if that is about right? 

My current situation similar to yours and me if its just you and the missus, AUD 3k per month is possible...but it depends on how luxurious you want to live, i am currently renting a studio in Sydney potts point for 300/w and been walking to work (35 mins), we don't own a car and we do most of our exploring on Sundays where transport fares are capped, though we are averaging close to 13k steps a day hehheh . Our set up cost was minimal as we bought stuff from K-mart/target and if you are smart with groceries shopping...you can eat well on 100-150 bucks a week (i do my woolies shopping at 10pm and buy reduced stuff...whole roast check for $2.25, whole sourdough bread from $6 to $1), it does require discipline but we are living on a cost base of low $2k a month